why Lawn Care companies dont grow.

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by J Hisch, Sep 24, 2006.

1. J Hisch

J Hisch LawnSite Senior Member

1. Most dont answer the phone (try calling a few for a estimate)

2. pass out flyers in the spring and then stop. (and that being the only advertsing they do)

3. Lack capital to expand(need to live off everything they make)

4. Spend to much on equipment before they need it. (wanting the easiest road possible to success)

5. Try to do too much( Try to be Full service when they dont need to be)

6. fail to see the importance of sales( most are working in the field rather than on the phone selling)

Just some food for thought. Not trying to bash anyone, but I get tired of seeing "the how do I get more customers threads" take it for what its worth.

2. DaughtryLC

DaughtryLC LawnSite Senior Member

I Agree! Most of the time people think "I'll get a Mower and make a kill'n!

3. noseha

noseha LawnSite Senior Member
    from MI

YAH..................:laugh:

4. Fordsuvparts

Fordsuvparts LawnSite Senior Member

well said, we were in that boat for a few years until we really started selling.

5. HenryB

HenryB LawnSite Bronze Member

The smart ones choose not to go big because it's more profitable (most times) to be small. I've been both. If your goal is to showoff and make a statement then go big; if you want more money (profit, net ), a life and much less grey hair stay small, condensed, streamlined with no fat. I've never seen a big LCO retire rich but I've seen many smaller guys( five or less employees) do it. All the big LCO's sqwuack how they were wronged, the biz is no good, they could have,should have, would have!

6. J&R Landscaping

J&R Landscaping LawnSite Fanatic

Several of my friends have that attitude! Always end up offering to buy accounts off of me..... :laugh:

7. mdvaden

mdvaden LawnSite Bronze Member

A few of those are true, and for a reason that was omitted from the list...

They don't charge enough. (although #3 can cover that if it's stretched to apply to that)

For example, they may not be able to put out more flyers, because they can't spare time from work - they don't make enough to get away from the tasks.

Some of those are not applicable to all services that don't grow.

It's still good food for thought.

Two main ways to satisfy that entire list are always hiring more help to handle the extra calls, ads or work, or reducing the income by expenditure of business funds to cover increased ads.

One other way is to increase the work shift from 40 to 60 hours per week, allowing the business to run their life.

Successful expansion of a business does not mean a successful lifestyle.

Only a small fraction of business owners can accomplish that entire list without the business running their life.

And it usually boils down to the smaller income potential - per worker - of lawn mowing. Even window cleaners make more per hour in residential cleaning.

8. AGLA

AGLA LawnSite Bronze Member

#1. Most can not manage more than two or three other people - no matter how much they advertise, no matter how many trucks they buy, no matter what services they try to do, ... if you can only manage two or three people you can't get any bigger.

9. DBL

DBL LawnSite Silver Member

were guilty of a few on that list

10. MudslinginFX4

MudslinginFX4 LawnSite Bronze Member

My biggest problem of growing is finding the quality employees I need, at a price I can afford to pay. I refuse to pay someone 16+ dollars per hour, plus all of the other expenses that go with employees when all they are making me is 50 or so dollars per hour.