Why me?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by tiedeman, Jul 2, 2004.

1. tiedeman

tiedeman LawnSite Fanatic
    from earth

So I finish up a property today and set the blower down between the truck and trailer after I finished blowing off the sidewalks. I take one final look around to make sure everything is done on the property with a walk through.

Everything looks great so I climb into the truck and start to drive away. CRUNCH!!! I ran over the blower with the trailer and its lodge under the trailer. So I have to throw the truck into reverse (which does more damage to the blower) just to get it out from under the trailer.

I was lucky enough that I only damaged a small area on the blower (one of the air thingys), only cost me about $40, but still I was so worried that I ruined it totally.

2. grasssin

grasssin LawnSite Senior Member

that sucks, sounds like something that would happen to me.

I am always forgetting something at home, or forgetting to put the pins in the trailer ramp.

Lucky it did not do more damage

3. impactlandscaping

impactlandscaping LawnSite Silver Member

Don't feel bad. I have ran over two pairs of prescription glasses and put another pair thru the chipper in the last 2 years. We also had a rim tear out(2 piece rim) from the hub on one of our trailers last year, and the jolt caused on of the WBs to violently jump and kill one of my Shin EB 240 handhelds. A simple $ 6.00 plastic carb flange, and it was as good as new. Stuff happens...at least it wasn't the clients cat...but that's another story:D

4. geogunn

geogunn LawnSite Gold Member
    from TN

TIEDm...what you are talking about is a real concern.

working my commercials, mostly hotels, you can't drop a piece of equipment anywhere!

I have heard all the stories!

GEO

5. Tharrell

Tharrell LawnSite Silver Member

Man, I've worried about doing that for a long time. I try to get everything locked up or tied down as I get through with it to prevent that. I have gotten home though and found my walkbehind not strapped down. It usually happens if/when I'm tired or in a rush or it's really hot in which case I'm really tired.

6. allstar

allstar LawnSite Senior Member

Not long ago I made the mistake of putting my cell phone on the side of the trailer and drove off with it still on there.When I realized what I had done I looked in my rear view mirror and miraculously it was still there!Before I could pull over,though,it fell off but fortunately when it hit it bounced off the road and into some grass.It has a leather case around it so I was able to retrieve it intact.I'll never make that mistake again.

7. Gene $immons

Gene $immons LawnSite Bronze Member

I was doing some chainsaw work on a acerage and ran over a relatively new Stihl chainsaw with my one ton.

It totally embedded it into the soft ground, but the thing still worked once I got all of the mud out of it.

8. walker-talker

walker-talker LawnSite Platinum Member
    from Midwest

Had a similar expierence (kinda) in the spring. I was scalping a lawn (zoysia) in the spring. The homeowner had recently watered it. I knew I should have not been trying to scalp because it was already very thick, but being wet made it even more difficult. Was going along and .....boom.....blades stopped turning. Looked down at the PTO shaft (BTW...it's a Walker)....it was turning, but no blades. Instant thought was I shattered the gears. Took to dealer and he comes out to look at it. Goes back inside and to the back room and comes back. I was sweating the whole time. He asked if I had $1. I said yes, I have $3 in my pocket. He said great, I will sell you 3 yoke pins. Big scare turned out to be not much at all.

About a week ago I was fueling my mowers. I had the key to my Walker in left hand and was trying to fuel my Exmark. I told myself it would be a ***** if I dropped the key in the gas tank, so I laid the key on the fender of the trailer. Drove to the first jobsite, get out, can't find the key. Looked on the fender, there it was, wedged between the fender and the top rail of the trailer.....I couldnt believe it.

Back in high school they called me the Leprechaun, because of my luck. I am sure glad it's stuck with me!!!

9. hartslawnmain

hartslawnmain LawnSite Member

Walker, sometimes we get lucky. I left my cell phone laying on the fender of my trailer the other day. Had gone home and realized didn't have phone. Re-traced my steps and found it lying on the side of the road about 1/2 mile from last job site. Luckily, I laid it on the right fender so it fell off on the side of the road instead on in the middle of the road. Works fine.

10. mtdman

mtdman LawnSite Gold Member

I did that to a push mower once.