1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

why mowing???

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Brianslawn, Nov 10, 2005.

1. Brianslawn

Brianslawn LawnSite Silver Member

why did you start your lawn biz? part time weekend gig that went full time? took over family biz? thought you could make a quick million? get fired from all the fast food joints and had no other choice? or did the pet cemetery biz flop and chose something that even a 13 year old could do?

if this is so easy and most people dont respect us, then why did you start?
  2. mcwlandscaping

mcwlandscaping LawnSite Gold Member

I say who cares what everyone else thinks, i love the work and thats all that matters to me. I started because i like the work, simple as that, if you don't love your work, then find a different job!
  3. lawnprosteveo

lawnprosteveo LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Tulsa

I'm a firefighter. I am on duty 24 and off 48. Some firemen screw around on their days off while their wives bust their asses. I chose to bust my ass on my days off for my wife and kids. And I like to work outside. So...it just kind of worked out.
  4. T-Trim

T-Trim LawnSite Member

I've found the green industrial to be a relaxing career choose. One being all the jobs I had, which include jobs that I when to school for ended up being the boss would tell me " I need you to go outside and clean this up and cut this down and cut the lawn. I've found great amounts of happiness in the green business and just being outdoors. And that is why I'm a landscaper. I could type for hours about how great this business is, but that's a story for another day.
  5. kleankutslawn

kleankutslawn LawnSite Bronze Member

always wanted to work for myself.my uncle have a big lawn care co. when i was coming up so i decided to try it for myself,working out good so far.
  6. logan

logan LawnSite Senior Member
    from FL

Where else can you work part time and make 100,000 working by yourself? 4 days a week and half of the winter off. As soon as someone says I want to start my own business, they have just taken steps to make as much money as they want to. Our income is unlimited, if we want it to be.
  7. roscioli

roscioli LawnSite Senior Member

I heard about all the money that there was to be made by pushing around my father's toro. Unfortunately I spent it on a trailer, lazer z, truck, 2 cycle equip, leaf blowers, etc. I should have stuck with the toro.
  8. Scotts' Yard Care

Scotts' Yard Care LawnSite Senior Member

I've always loved running equipment. Everything from a weed eater to a backhoe to a long haul diesel to 200 hp field tractor at one time or another.
    Lawnmowing lets me play with neat little machines and make a good living doing it.:D
  9. green acres lawns

green acres lawns LawnSite Senior Member

I started mine so my stepson could make some spending money. We started with a craftsman push mower going door to door. The idea was to get him some yards to mow after school. But he soon lost interest and left me with the yards that we had promised to maintain. I could have stopped right then but I had given my word so I continued. I bought a small trailer so I could use my John deere 318 which was way faster then the push mower. Then I bought a used Walker ghs to pick up leaves and it just grew from there. Today, nine years later, I still have the business ($90,000.00 in equipment), and a 40x60 shop to keep it all in. I'm still a part timer as I have a full time night foreman job with Caterpiller. My part time business adds 30 to 40 thousand to my annual income. I can retire from Cat any time after Jan 2006. Don't know if I will, but I do know that when I do retire, I will be mowing and bush-hogging full time for as long as I'm able.
  10. burns60

burns60 LawnSite Senior Member

Always enjoyed doing my own yard so, after retirement I decided to get a Z and see what I might be able to do. Three years later I still enjoy it, though age gets to be a factor when you are doing it solo. I tried sitting around for a while, but that just wasn't me. I couldn't fish all the time and there is just only so much you can do to your own yard. It has been a good supplement to my retirement income also. I have tried not to let our household budget become dependent upon the lawn business so most of the earnings could go into savings and the business, but I must say that it has paid for some things that would have put a strain on the retirement income. Have debated about going bigger, and still don't know for sure which direction to go with this, but right now I am satisfied to keep it small with less overhead and liabilities. I have been surprised at the money to be made in this business.