Why mowing?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Black Water, Oct 1, 2003.

1. Black Water

Black Water LawnSite Senior Member

Why do you mow.
    Out of all the professions, and out of all the business you could start, why in god's name did you pick mowing lawns?:confused:

I hear it from my family all the time.:rolleyes:

I was wondering do you guys get the same thing?

What do you tell them?
  2. MOW ED

MOW ED LawnSite Fanatic

I can't say that I mow for full time income but I think your question can still be answered by me. I mow because I like it. It gives me the chance to make something look good. I like physical work. The money isn't great but it isn't bad either. I have no regrets because I started this business. I could have done many different things but all in all I like to mow.

As you hang around here more, you will also find that there are lots of good people here. People that you want to be around. I hope God continues to let me mow and work outside. I am very thankful that He has let me have 8 great years so far. Good Question.
  3. WeatherMan

WeatherMan LawnSite Senior Member

Freedom Let it Ring
  4. baddboygeorge

baddboygeorge LawnSite Bronze Member

mowing is a portion of the business thats why we do it . i only mow if its a full service account . people want a one stop service an thats the way i have tailored my business. besides this business you either love it or ya dont last long . i eat sleep an s*&% this business . have fun an get mowing
  5. Green in Idaho

Green in Idaho LawnSite Senior Member
    from Idaho

Ask them why they do what they do?
    There's a lot of jobs that don't make sense!
  6. dvmcmrhp52

dvmcmrhp52 LawnSite Platinum Member
    from Pa.

It's the Crisp Autumn Breeze Flowing Through The Auburn Locks
    Of Curled Wisps of Hair On A Mighty Mammoth Machine Meant For Grooming The Tiny Forests Of Pickadilly Green Wilst Dreaming Of
    Thine True Love Keeping The Home Fires Ablaze.

Thats why I play yard monkey!:D
  7. walker-talker

walker-talker LawnSite Platinum Member
    from Midwest

Awwww.....that was beautiful. I got into the business because I wanted just that.....a business and this sort was easy to get into. I worked for a landscaper years ago and hated what I did....I cussed daily and couldn't figure out why anyone would want to do this.....that was when I was making $6.50 an hour....now I make 10X that and wonder why I didn't start earlier....lol I don't the mowing as much as I like going out giving estimates, marketing, sitting at the computer and such. Don't get me wrong....no way could I sit at a desk for 8 hrs a day.

In short, I like running a business more than anything!!

8. fivestarlawnken

fivestarlawnken LawnSite Senior Member

good money,good workout,being outside,freedom,meeting new people,beats the heck out of my full time job!!!!!!!Also I like to see the improvement I make every 5-7 days.:cool:
  9. Gene $immons

Gene $immons LawnSite Bronze Member

Blow these people off. Just worry about #1

Lawn Care is a great business to run.
  10. turfsolutions

turfsolutions LawnSite Senior Member

I don't know about the rest of you guys but I feel that most people cannot comprehend what its like to be in our shoes. Running a lawn / landscape business is physically and mentally tough. I personally don't care what others think as long as I know I am doing the best I can do for my family.