1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

why must people be so CLUELESS???

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Chop Stuff Up, Jun 21, 2007.

1. Chop Stuff Up

Chop Stuff Up LawnSite Senior Member

Mowing today in a quiet neighborhood, the homes are on each side of the street, and there is a sidewalk going along each side of the street. I'm mowing on one side close to the sidewalk with the 48". A young lady pushes her baby in a stroller right up the sidewalk I'm mowing along. I have to shut off everything. Its like she didn't realize that a large mower like that is dangerous in any way. A rock could fly out, shoot... the noise alone can harm the baby's hearing. The least she could've done is cross the quiet street and use the other sidewalk. There were no cars on the road at all! People like this get on my nerves!
  2. 1MajorTom

1MajorTom Senior Moderator

I really think people just don't have any idea the things that could happen when someone is using equipment. It's like they see the person behind the mower, and think it's safe, since afterall the guy behind the mower is using it. :dizzy:
    We've had elderly people walk right in the area where the trimmer is being used, and stay there and start to pick a few weeds etc out of their beds. Matt will have to say, "you better move away, you may get hit with a rock or something." and they'll say, "oh that's ok, it won't hurt." wow.
  3. rodfather

rodfather LawnSite Fanatic

My pet pieve is dad on his garden tractor flying around the lawn with a 2 year old on his lap while mowing
  4. The Captain

The Captain LawnSite Senior Member

Yep, had one of those. The guy next to my account came out of the house as I unloaded. Didin't think much about it until I saw him standing on the other side of a wrought iron fence, with his 3 and 5 year old kids.....about 15' from where I was mowing. I shut the mower off right then. He was a little pizz'd off because his kids "just love lawn mowers and hadn't seen one as big as mine."
    Tried to explain tip speed, danger of dicharging rocks and sticks...you know the usual. Asked him to take the kids to the other side of the yard until I finished this area. Didn't seem to phaze him. He just stood there. (Must be an attorney looking for a quick buck I thought.) Nope, a computer geek. That explains it.

Anyway I just loaded up, told him I'd be back when he wasn't. Said I'd also explain to the homeowner why the lawn wasn't mowed. Homeowner understood and gave me an extra something for doing the safe thing.

Idiots....more of there out there than I thought.
  5. Vikings

Vikings LawnSite Bronze Member
    from canada

Even the sound of an engine would scare a baby though. I just put my mulch kit on my 36 so I won't be shooting out any stones anymore.
  6. TNT LawnCare Inc.

TNT LawnCare Inc. LawnSite Bronze Member

:hammerhead: :hammerhead: Yea ive had to tell people , even the same ones over and over ,please take your kids inside.Off the porch. But my 4 year old son wants to watch.Well he wont be watching anything if a rock hits him in the eye !!
  7. mkroher

mkroher LawnSite Senior Member

like this?

8. KTO Enterprises

KTO Enterprises LawnSite Bronze Member

What in the world are those boxing glove looking things on the front caster wheels?
  9. DiyDave

DiyDave LawnSite Bronze Member

They look like weights, perhaps to counterweight that big catcher in back.
  10. mkroher

mkroher LawnSite Senior Member

Yes they are weights.

they have their advantages and disadvantages. I prefer to leave them on. I like to have the front wheels stay on the ground when traveling up a slope.. heh