1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Why no diesel's

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by mikec_j, Nov 20, 2007.

1. mikec_j

mikec_j LawnSite Member

With the price of gas these days why don't more guys run diesel's your supposed to get more hours out of them and better fuel economy??:
  2. lawnmaniac883

lawnmaniac883 LawnSite Silver Member

Because they are more expensive up front, weigh more and diesel costs as much as premium gas here.
  3. DBL

DBL LawnSite Silver Member

have you seen the price of diesel lately?
  4. mowingtowing

mowingtowing LawnSite Member

diesel here is 3.49, 20 cents more then premium, it should definitely be the other way though
  5. mikec_j

mikec_j LawnSite Member

Cant you get off road diesel it?
  6. TheKingNJ

TheKingNJ LawnSite Senior Member

Becasue it it against the law to put off road diesel in your truck.
  7. P.Services

P.Services LawnSite Fanatic

when i buy fuel and put it into my transfer tank and say its for off road use they give me .15 cents off. its still the same fuel as on road so why dosent every one just pump it into there truck after they leave?
  8. gorrell

gorrell LawnSite Senior Member

You might want to ask the friendly DOT man about using off road diesel in your on road vehicle. I'll bet he has a creative answer:laugh:............Lynn
  9. Dirt Digger2

Dirt Digger2 LawnSite Silver Member
    from PA

i have never really seen any diesel truck out there that gets significantly better fuel economy then a V8 gas motor...all our powerstrokes are getting between 11-14 mpg; that, coupled with the upfront cost really isn't enough reason to go diesel, especially with the sky rocketing cost of diesel...the only diesel i personally have seen to get better MPG then its gas counter part is our 2006 Jeep Liberty Diesel.
  10. instyle

instyle LawnSite Senior Member
    from Canada

when there is no wind and I am on a flat road, but 03 cummins will get 26 mpg. It will averages 22 mpg from Texas to Canada. and when i am pulling my 7000lbs trailer i will get 15 mpg