Why No Eupopean LCO on lawnsite?

Discussion in 'General Industry Discussions' started by Az Gardener, Feb 17, 2007.

1. Az Gardener

Az Gardener LawnSite Gold Member

I was thinking about my E Myth message yesterday and one of the suggestions was to think globally even if you don't intend to work globally.

I have seen a few Aussies and some South American contributors and possibly a Brit. To say their participation is limited would be generous.

I am very curious what their operations are like across the pond and what we might learn from them. I know from living on an air base in England as a child things are much different there. I am especially curious about their pruning tools. Lets face it they have been at this for a lot longer than us.
  2. Vikings

Vikings LawnSite Bronze Member
    from canada

Maybe they don't speak English.
  3. Jason Rose

Jason Rose LawnSite Fanatic

Ive seen several people on here from european countries, can't recall who, but I remember a few threads of several posting pics of what lawn care looks like on their side of the pond. One guy had a couple large grasshopper mowers. That's just one that popped out in my mind.
  4. txgrassguy

txgrassguy LawnSite Gold Member

From my experience with golf course turf work in Europe, I do know operations there are strictly controlled by the local governments.
    Mandatory minimum wages which far exceed ours, petrol costs which are literally out of sight, noise ordinances, not to mention that the importation of specific mowers can cost upwards of 600% of their US purchase price all combine to keep those operations decidedly minimal.
    For instance, the herbicides we take for granted here are not available in Europe unless one can demonstrate the actual need, prove that there are no off-target side effects, and prove that nothing else is available locally.
    Man, you think we have EPA and related headaches here, try Europe!