Why no front mount?

Discussion in 'Hustler Turf Equip (Archived)' started by Sneaky, Sep 13, 2004.

1. Sneaky

Sneaky LawnSite Member

I was recently looking at the Hustler lineup and was just wondering why there is no offering of a front mount model.

2. mowerconsultant

mowerconsultant LawnSite Fanatic
    Male, from Syracuse, NY

The 4000 series is available.
    It is listed under our products link on our web page.

Pj

3. Sneaky

Sneaky LawnSite Member

I was thinking more along the line of grasshopper, woods, and john deere 687.

4. Doc Pete

Doc Pete LawnSite Gold Member

BECAUSE.....This is better (faster more maneuverable) than any outfront mower you can buy.

Hustler SWB with Bullrider

5. Sneaky

Sneaky LawnSite Member

You're right to a point. Sometimes though a front mount leaves a much better cut. Especially on bumpy lawn like I have.

6. ScCo

ScCo LawnSite Senior Member

sneaky's concerns are similar to mine.

I have several properties that require quite short cutting heights (2 inches) and are rather bumpy/uneven, causing me major scalping issues when cutting with my 60" super Z.

I'm wondering if the 48" SWB can do what I need it to do without scalping as much as the super z does, but nobody has really been able to give me a clear answer on this.

The next problem is these lawns are zoysia grass and require collection of the clippings...at the request of the owners. Walker mowers are looking quite appealing right now, even with the walker dealer being crappy, simply so I can have a machine that will cut at the short heights without scalping and that will collect the clippings.

What's your take on the 48" SWB for what I'm needing Doc Pete? or PJ?

Thanks
    ScCo

I attached a pic of one of the properties. I'm having to cut it about an inch higher than the customer would prefer, as I'm apparently not good enough on my super z to cut at 2" without scalping this yard. It has a lot of dips, bumps, and humps, which cause me some issues and make me work the deck lift pedal a lot, even at the higher cutting height.

zoysia2_edited.jpg

7. theservicingdealer

theservicingdealer LawnSite Member

Why do you feel a front mount will not scalp??Any mower the wider you go the harder it is not to scalp at that short of cut. This is like a golf course cut length. Working at a John deere dealer for 10 years -their front cut will scalp the same as there mid cut.Front cut cost lots more tooo. Dont go as fast.I think with some rollers properly positioned in the z deck that we wouldnt have any problems.

Speaking of Walkers. They have a good idea on a unit but have a lot of items that need to be looked at. The engine is so tucked within the frame that you cant hardly work on it without removing the engine from the frame.Think of the labor cost to do any thing.Then the engine cant breath well becuase it is tucked in there and overheats. This will cut the engine life by 1/2. Talk to a walker owner.Ask them about repairs and how much it cost to work on it. I would like to know if it is the same feed back I get from up here. It may not be an issue for you but I know for a fact that walkers dont climb hills well at all.I have a friend that works for a landscape company in NC at a major college and they have to back up any hill. That is major here in VT.

8. Doc Pete

Actually,that's just not true. If you had a "4 bladed" machine as Hustler is in the process of introducing, though wider, it will actually scalp less because the "front to rear" distance between front castors and drive wheels is smaller.
    In other words, for "front to rear" scalping, the size of the blade determines how badly the machine will scalp. Of course, this is taking into account both machines have the front castor and rear drive wheels as close to the deck as possible (or anti scalp wheels).

Now "side to side" scalping is another matter, but I don't believe that's what's in question.
    Pete

9. ScCo

ScCo LawnSite Senior Member

any of the downfalls of walker's design outside of how awesome of a finished cut they provide even at the short cutting heights are irrelevant to me to be honest. Because it's either get the right end results or lose the high dollar contracts. I'm not trying to sound harsh by saying that, just stating what the scenario is.

The scalping issues I have to deal with on these yards are scalps that occur driving over a high spot in the yard, where the highest point of the high spot is scalped as you roll over the bump...not side to side scalping.

However with the outfronts that I have demoed the side to side scalping has been much less frequent at the shorter cutting heights than with midmount machines too it seems. Maybe that's just faulty perception on my part, but it just seems like the overall, end results are much better at the short heights these yards require with a front deck machine.

I'd love to be able to use a 48" SWB with doubles and an accelerator catcher on these yards if it would give me the right results. Nothing would make me happier than to be able to stick with Hustler products. That is why I asked if Doc or PJ think the 48" SWB would do the trick. If I have to go with the walker, I will though, because these houses pay way too well to let them go to someone else because I don't have a machine to do them the way the customers insist on them being done....money talks.

My local dealer doesn't have a 48" SWB, or any SWB for that matter, so I'm gonna have to take people's word in part on this deal and see what I can come up with.

It seems to me like with how compact the deck to rear wheel distance is on the SWB's, and being 12" narrower deck than my 60" super z, the SWB should be much less prone to scalping. However that is something i'd definitely like some verification on before I go shell out the cash for a new machine.

Thanks for the space,

ScCo

10. Doc Pete

OK,
    For what it's worth, since I have the 54 and 48 SWB's, I can tell you the 48 scalps less than the 54. Now, logically, since you're using a 60" machine, which is another 6" longer "front to rear" than the 54, it's easy to assume the 48 will scalp much less than what you are using.
    Also, Hustler's design puts the front and rear wheels as close to the deck as possible which again decreases the chances of scalping.
    I used to bag with my standard 48 (I have three machines) and doubles, and it would suck up 8" of wet grass clean as a whistle. Knowing how much more power the SWB has, I'm sure you'll be happy with it's bagging ability.