??why no JOHN DEERE??

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Shane Nelson, Jan 24, 2001.

1. Shane Nelson

Shane Nelson LawnSite Member

Last year was my first year in bizz.I started out with one
    52"John Deere w/b,one jdxj140 weed eater,jd backpack blower.
    I was extremely happy with my equipment,I had not one problem at all with any piece.And I feel like I had an exeptional first year of bizz.I also had jd hedge trimmers.Im just wondering why i never hear any of you other pros out there using John Deere.Is my choice a bad one.If it is please tell me why.As of now im a believer in Deere equipment.But if there is a good reason to change please let me know,and why.IVE never used any other comm equip so i could use your opinions
  2. kutnkru

kutnkru LawnSite Silver Member

I use Exmark and Robin because J-Deere is so much more expensive.

My advice about equipment is this:
    If it isnt broke - Dont fix it!

If you are haveing impeccable results from your equipment, are currently extatic with the production results, customer service is great, I wouldnt change a thing.

I see many who are using ride on equipment on here as well. I will not be purchasing any riders any time soon as we are continually receiving calls from potential clients who are interested in our services because we wont show up with "tractors" to mow their lawns.

Hope this helps.

3. Shane Nelson

Thanks KRIS
  4. thelawnguy

thelawnguy LawnSite Silver Member

I started with a JD WB and still have it, JD equipment is pricey to buy but its quality stuff but if you run a crew why give em a 3500 mower when a 2200 one will do just as fine, heck its not you working it 10 hrs a day ;)
  5. Shane Nelson

6. davesgs75

davesgs75 LawnSite Member

you are not the only one using JD's. i have a 48" GS75 walk behind that i use a velke with. have use it since July 0f 98. I have been very pleased with it. It has held up great and the quality of the cut is excellent. I did not see what area you are in, but here in N Alabama JD's are widely used. They are pricey but I have always went with you get what you pay for. The JD dealer here has now became an Exmark dealer the first in town, so they will probaly catch on, and Toro is gaining ground.
    I have never used thier trimmers or blowers. The dealer here carries Shindiwia ( if i spelled that right) so i went with it on my edger and plan to purchase a back pack blower hopeful this season.

Hope you have as good luck with your JD as i have had.
  7. SpringValley

SpringValley LawnSite Member

We use primarily John Deere equipment. For me, it was a personal choice that has become a business decision. I felt I bought my F620 ZTR at a great price. It was only $500 more than a Toro. Now, we use exclusively JD for our big equipment. I have two Echo SRM2100 trimmers, a Stihl BR400 back pack blower and two Toro 21" mowers. The JD back pack blower starts on the first pull every time. I have been ready to pitch the Stihl more than once, my wife hates it, 7-8 pulls to start everytime. The JD was $50 more but is more powerful and starts so much easier. I plan on going with a JD trimmer next season as I need another one. We are the only company that used JD equipment to mow residential yards. John Deere is a company that is progressive and has the reputation that people recognize. It is a company I am proud to be associated with.
    We also have a 1960 JD 430W utility tractor, 2cyl, runs great and makes that unique sound, and a 1999 JD 250 skid steer. I plan on a new F680 this year and will eventually replace all my hand held equipment with JD as needed. Stick with the Green to make green.

8. Eric ELM

Eric ELM Husband, Father, Friend, Angel

I still have a JD 430, but it isn't used for mowing since I got ZTRs. I started out with using the JD's and ended up buying 4 new mowers from my dealer in 5 years, but every time they broke down, it would go to the end of the line waiting for repairs. It didn't mean a thing to them that I made my living with them. After realizing that the Green Paint cost to much Green, I switched to Stainless Steel and when I went to the Chopper dealer that ended up being my dealer, I noticed there were no machines there for repair. When I went back to pick it up, there were no machines in for repair. The longest I have had to wait for a repair the few times I have had to go in was 2 hours. That sure beats the 5 days to a week I waited at the JD dealer. I feel John Deere waited 20 years to long to get into the ZTR market. I don't know of any other Lawn CO. up in this area that uses them.

So far I guess there are 4 of us that have John Deere's, but only 3 of you mow with them. Mine is used for aerating and snow removal only now.
  9. Currier

Currier LawnSite Senior Member

My Walker dealer is also a JD dealer. Deere is their main thing. I buy my handheld equip. from them and am looking forward to buying a 21 inch commercial one of these days. I say that trying to justify $1100.00 for a 21 inch! (it'll never happen). My point is, I really like John Deere equipment, but it is pricey. Another example of getting what you pay for.
  10. AltaLawnCare

AltaLawnCare LawnSite Senior Member

I have a 345 that I purchased used from my local JD dealer. I'm pretty satisfied with it. I want to stick with JD equipment because the dealer is only about 10 minutes from where I live. Even though I'm new in this and haven't spent much money with his dealership (yet) he has always made me feel important and provided excellent service. They also keep a good selection of used equipment (commercial). A local outfit here uses a JD Z-track, after talking with him he left me with the impression he likes his also. I've seen some Woods ZTRs locally also but haven't heard much about them, or read much about them on this forum.
    And, I got to admit, I really do like that green and yellow paint.