Why no kubota post?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by tacoma200, May 19, 2007.

1. tacoma200

tacoma200 LawnSite Fanatic

Well I know Kubota is a big name in light to heavy equipment. But they are one of the least mentioned mowers on Lawnsite. I rarely ever see one, maybe it's a regional thing. Its not uncommon to see a fleet of Exmarks or John Deeres but rarely do I ever see anything over a solo Kubota. And that's usually a park or maintenance crew. What's the deal? I would think from their reputation in other area's they would be a top notch mower. Maybe they are just priced too high. Seems like I did hear of a few problems with them hydraulics or drives systems but I can't remember, like I said they are rarely mentioned.

2. NittanyLawncare

NittanyLawncare LawnSite Member

Too much $$$!

3. David Gretzmier

David Gretzmier LawnSite Gold Member

Dang dude, I've mentioned kubota a dozen times in the past 2 weeks. It's one of my top 3 ztr's, and is arguably the longest lasting out there and most fuel efficient. quiet, comfortable, cuts good and hey, look at that rear axle! what is that thing- a 4 ton military axle back there?

4. Boonman

Boonman LawnSite Member
    from NY

My Z-master has a Kubota engine...... I love the cut of a Toro, and the engine of a Kubota. best of both worlds!!

5. Envy Lawn Service

Envy Lawn Service LawnSite Fanatic

They are priced well here in my opinion, and have the legacy of the diesel engines and kubota tractors to ride upon the skirt tail of...

But they have always been a bit on the sub-par side.

Not saying they are terrible, because they are not.

It's just that at first, they didn't have much of a deck for many areas. They upgraded that to the Pro Deck (5.5" deep version) which was an improvement. But the all-around success was marginal.

They tinkered and tuned with that to get it better, and meanwhile they had that production defect pop up in the drive systems.

And like it or not, the looks of the machine has hurt them because the styling is a little non-standard.

Well, then this year they came out with that 300 series ZD. Hydro upgrade, styling upgrade, more bells and whistles, AND that new 6.5" deep deck (man that thing looks the part of a monster).

The reviews are "still out" on the 2007 models so far... too new to know much.

But the one thing I have noticed already is they really put on some weight over the winter... and they still never really changed the basic setup configuration of the mower, although otherwise it looks quite different.

I like the Kubota's for sure aside from these trivial things.
    However, I just happen to think that they really aren't going anywhere in a hurry in market share of ZTR's. No chance in my mind until they truely start from scratch and go from the ground up on a totally new machine.

Again, I'm not knocking the Kubota's personally.
    I'm just looking at it from an overall market standpoint and trying to be honest about it.

6. marvinlee

marvinlee LawnSite Member
    from Oregon

I bought one of the first Kubota ZD-21 machines with a five foot deck. Six years later it is still going strong, though not with high hours on our small property. It would be my first choice again.

I like the stying but it is true that the new ones have put on bulk and weight. I was surprised to find that out, given the admirably light Kubota tractors.

7. chris_poyner

chris_poyner LawnSite Member

look below

8. procut

procut LawnSite Bronze Member

For the most part, I think the Kubota mowers are pretty good. When I was at the Kubota dealer looking at utility tractors a few weeks ago, I happened to take a look at one of the ZTRs. I was pretty impressed, the thing is built like a tank, not to mention the 6.5" deep, shaft driven deck. If there only half as good as the Kubota tractors, they would still be a greeat machine IMO.

A homeonwner up the road from me has a ZD Kubota. From what I can tell the quality of cut looks good and he get good stripes from it.

9. Envy Lawn Service

Envy Lawn Service LawnSite Fanatic

Like I said, not a bad piece, but... riding on the skirt tail of the tractors.

That new deck is mighty mighty impressive looking though isn't it.
    The depth jumps right out at you!

10. CollegeCash

CollegeCash LawnSite Member

The largest mowing service in our county uses nothing but Kubota. Kubota has the largest dealership in our county. The only other dealerships in our county are Dixon and Snapper though.
    I think the most expensive model I saw at the dealership was about $14,000 and the cheapest was about $9k-$10k.