why no pistol grip anymore?

Discussion in 'eXmark' started by Nathan, Oct 17, 2002.

1. Nathan

Nathan LawnSite Member

I am posting this with hopes that an exmark rep actually reads what is posted here. We have used exmarks for about 7 years now and until recently haven't thought about purchasing elsewhere. Last week we entered our local dealer to puchase another walk behind and were told that the pistol grip is no longer offered. I understand that the new style is probably selling well, after all it is'new' so it must be better in most peoples mind. I do think that in the when the novelty wears off there still will be us who want a choice. We are currently looking for a leftover old style mower to no avail, and if we cannot find one we may buy a different brand.
    Exmark please think again.

2. eXmark

eXmark Manufacturer / Sponsor

Nathan,

Thank you for your input. We still offer the Metro with pistol grips but I'll assume your running hydro in the climate your in.

We looked at the pistol grip sales vs. ECS for 3 years and we were having difficulty selling the few pistol grip machines we were building each year and couldn't build enough units with ECS to meet demand.

I'll pass your comments along to our product planning group and see what they have to say. If you would like I may be able to arrange for you to have a demo of an ECS model to determine if your crews like it after they've had a chance to get used to them.

Let me know if youÂ’d like a demo.

Also what models were you interested in, Turf Tracer, Turf Tracer HP, Viking Hydro or Metro HP.

Thanks

Terry

3. TJLC

TJLC LawnSite Bronze Member

My new TTHP has the ECS controls on it. I have allways used Exmarks with pistol grips. Now that I'm used to the ECS it's very nice. I think you need to try the ECS. I was unsure at first too. IMHO it is a nice improvement over the standard pistol grips.

4. chariot

chariot LawnSite Senior Member

As I was planning to purchase a new Turf Tracer this coming spring I had often wondered about this also. Maybe the sales of the ECS over the pistol grips for those years is because so many of your users are like nathan and had no need for a new mower in those three years. Now that they are getting some time on them they need to replace them and want what they know works for them. It may be that the ECS buyers are 90% or so first time walk behind buyers, especially if everyones market is flooding with new guys mowing like mine is. Thanks for hearing my thoughts.

5. eXmark

eXmark Manufacturer / Sponsor

Chariot,

We bounced that around as well. We're keeping pretty good track of the number of requests for pistol grip controls. I'll be anxious to see what they offer for next year.

Thanks

Terry

6. Ryan Lightning

Ryan Lightning LawnSite Senior Member
    from CA

If it will work, I would trade the pistol grips off my TTHP48 for a ECS.

7. chariot

chariot LawnSite Senior Member

Hey Exmark,
    If you are referring to the 2003 models then I get the feeling from your reply that you guys may just have something for us soon! Is this anything you can comment on??? Thanks

8. SLS

SLS LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Mars

I recently made friends with another local LCO who has an older TT with pistol grips. He and his wife stopped by my house last weekend and he was ogleing my new 36" TTHP (with ECS) and inquired about how I liked it. Of course I told him that I love it...but hey, thats just my opinion.

So, I asked him "Wanna give her a whirl???" Of course, he couldn't wait to try it out.

I pulled it out of the garage, fired it up, and gave him a 5 second tutorial on the ECS controls...and off he went.

After about 10 or 15 minutes he was sold! "Wow, honey, you wouldn't believe how much nicer and easier to control this machine is compared to mine! And so much easier on my wrists! Ok...that's it...I'm getting one of these before spring!" :D

He was genuinely excited about the ECS system.

I'm gonna keep an eye on that dude around my machine. ;)

9. Ryan Lightning

Ryan Lightning LawnSite Senior Member
    from CA

I almost crushed my hands on a fence TWICE the other day! I will be getting a ECS kit around spring time! Seems much safer :blob4: