Why no side ramps on enclosed trailers?

Discussion in 'Trucks and Trailers' started by brookline, Nov 8, 2011.

1. brookline

brookline LawnSite Senior Member

I have used open trailers with side ramps (curbside) and absolutely loved them. Why is it that no company makes them on an enclosed trailer? I like being able to pull the walkbehinds off the trailer without moving the ZTR's or vise versa. If anyone knows of a company that has this option please let me know. Or maybe we should let it be known that this is something that these companies should try to offer us.:help:

2. Lugnut

Lugnut LawnSite Senior Member

Ive never seen it but would love to have this option as well...so much time would be saved

3. Lbilawncare

Lbilawncare LawnSite Bronze Member

r and r makes one. There are others available, mostly designed for snowmobiles.

4. Glenn Lawn Care

Glenn Lawn Care LawnSite Silver Member

I was going to say you can get a snowmobile trailer,, but the ramp is on the front v portion.

5. brookline

I have seen the v-nose gates on snow mobile trailers but cant find one on a regular and I am reluctant thinking that the V-nose would be half on the curb and half off. I have never heard of R and R I will look them up.

6. knox gsl

knox gsl LawnSite Platinum Member

I have seen a custom 18' that had a 54" side ramp/door. It used the same lift spring setup as the back door.

7. brookline

I'm thinking I may just have to make the side ramp myself. I am pretty suprised that this has not been an option on the trailers by now. They make the open trailers with it so I would think it would make sense to offer it on the enclosed as well.

8. Hawkshot99

Hawkshot99 LawnSite Senior Member

Problem with a snowmobile trailer is the ramp is on the driver side. When parking them along a snowbank they still need to be able to open the ramp door, so it must open into the road.

9. Jimslawncareservice

Jimslawncareservice LawnSite Platinum Member
    from mn

It was an option on my trailer when I ordered it in 07. Wish all the time I had gotten it
    Posted via Mobile Device

10. TLS

TLS LawnSite Fanatic

Certain manufacturers do have them as options. Forget which right now.

I fabricated a side gate on my open 16'er back in '97. Only made it 50". Makes for a tight squeeze for my 48" SCAG WB. Wouldn't buy a trailer w/o a side gate.

I am looking to go with an enclosed and it WILL have this option along with 2 fuel doors.

I would think that if you order custom, that all manufacturers would do this. They just use off the shelf parts.

When I did this to my open trailer, I beefed up my frame on that side. With the MUCH thicker frames on open trailers they don't rely on the upper rails for strength like open trailers do.