why no "small" diesel ZTRs?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Ramairfreak98ss, Apr 27, 2007.

1. Ramairfreak98ss

Ramairfreak98ss LawnSite Silver Member

My small tractor has the 27hp version of this ... http://www.commercialpower.com/display/router.asp?docid=79687#anc18

Why cant they use say the 18 or 23hp diesel 3 cylinder model in a smaller ZTR like a 48-mid 50" model?

I cant see buying a 13k+ machine just to cut only big yards, weighing almost 2000lbs. If they could get something with this built to weigh ~1400lbs or less and be still fairly compact, like the Ferris 1500/2000 series or Deere 737 series, they'd sell like hot cakes if the price wasn't terribly over the top!

2. morturf

morturf LawnSite Senior Member
    from midwest

Have a look at this one. I have this model and I love it. It does everything I ask of it. I also have the clamshell catcher. Works great!!!

http://www.grasshoppermower.com/mid_321d.php

by the way...check the specs...it weighs 1230.

3. PLM-1

PLM-1 LawnSite Bronze Member

As soon as I read the question, I thought of the 321/721 also. Great mowers!

4. Envy Lawn Service

Envy Lawn Service LawnSite Fanatic

Yep... they are out there... but other than Grasshopper's... they don't seem to sell well.

5. prosperity

prosperity LawnSite Member

I agree - would like to see more diesel options.
    My one and only close dealer (even at that 25 miles away) is Deere.
    I love my compact diesel tractor, but would like to see a 60" 757 with a small diesel for sure.

6. MOW ED

MOW ED LawnSite Fanatic

7. razor1

razor1 LawnSite Bronze Member

8. TLS

TLS LawnSite Fanatic

The manufacturers DO need to look into this.

But also, keep the weight down.

Turbocharging is a must.

A Turbo can make one of these small 3 cylinder diesels rather potent. The smaller the engine, the smaller the block, the less weight.

The little Kubota that Toro and eXmark are using is a nice engine. Just has no place powering a 60-72" deck.

9. Daneman

Daneman LawnSite Member

The problem is the cost of the diesel engine is to high, making a smaller ZTR diesel powered would price it way out of range. Plus, the diesel engine power units are very heavy, so the weight would still be a factor.

10. TLS

TLS LawnSite Fanatic

Yes the Diesel engine IS heavy. All cast iron.

However, Lesco ZTR's had two big heavy cast iron weights on the rear for a couple years (not sure if they still do). Anyone know how much they weigh?

It's doable, but cost is an issue.

We're starting to get closer to better built ZTR's that WILL last 3-4K hours.

Time will tell.