1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Why no used mowers?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by okie2, Aug 11, 2007.

1. okie2

okie2 LawnSite Member

Why is it so hard for me to find a used mower? I live in Okla and dealers dont even get them. Should I just buy me a new one?
  2. shepoutside

shepoutside LawnSite Bronze Member

Try looking at Auctions, and classified ads. You could check with other's that may be upgrading there mowers, and would sell you there used ones. Many places have huge Landscaping Auctions in the spring, maybe wait for then if you can. Good Luck :)
  3. Capemay Eagle

Capemay Eagle LawnSite Bronze Member

It's prime mowing season, wait till the fall...
  4. carcrz

carcrz LawnSite Silver Member

What size of mower are you looking for?
  5. sjessen

sjessen LawnSite Gold Member
    Male, from Knoxville, Tn

Check Ebay.
    ericg likes this.
  6. okie2

okie2 LawnSite Member

I have been checkin around today and had a guy tell me to look at the Toro titan. What do you guys think? Its almost the exact mower as the exmark quest. they have 10 gauge decks. Is that a big difference? They are in my price range.
  7. bohiaa

bohiaa LawnSite Fanatic

most of the time the used ones are worn out
  8. sjessen

sjessen LawnSite Gold Member
    Male, from Knoxville, Tn

Are you a homeowner or an LCO? If you are a homeowner one of the models you mentioned might work fine but if you are planning on doing this commercially you'd be much better off buying a used commercial machine than a new homeowner unit.
    ericg likes this.
  9. PEVO

PEVO LawnSite Member

I guess i was at the right place at the right time. A LARGE mowing service was updating part of their fleet of Hustler super-Zs (10 of them i think) & was trading some in(out of warrantee) I snatched a 04 Super-Z 60" w/a kohler 28EFI w/1100+ hours on it for $3K I wound up sinking around 300 bux in it. Now it's like new...to me anyway!
  10. Mowing Freak

Mowing Freak LawnSite Senior Member
    from S.E. Ks

What I have found, it depends on what area you are in. If you are in a sparsly populated area that is not near a big town, you will find less used commercial stuff. If you are around big towns, you are more likely to find used stuff. Also, once used hits the market, it seems to be snatched up quick. You have to be at the right place at the right time. I was fortunate to find a Walker GHS and bought it the same day. Used commercial units just aren't found much in my area.