why no weeds?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by bobbygedd, Apr 17, 2005.

1. bobbygedd

bobbygedd LawnSite Fanatic
    from NJ

can someone explain this? i have a customer, elderly lady, she needs to tell me exactly what to do. whatever, i crank her on the price, and do as she wishes (fert wise). ok, she gets 2 treatments a year, only in spring, she gets a fert and lime, that's it, nothing more for the year. exposure is full sun. she will not allow pesticides on the property, even for spraying the walkways, and i respect her choice. she pays extra for me to use a 21" mower, and cut it at 1.5" . now, she has no weeds. a little clover, but other than that, no crabgrass or broadleafs, and the rest somewhat healthy grass. this goes against everything we know....cutting at 1.5", no herbicides for years, not even enough fert to maintain a healthy lawn (roughly .80 lbs per k per season). why is her lawn NOT infested with weeds? or just plain dead?

2. DennisF

DennisF LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Florida

She might be out there on hands and knees pulling weeds when you're not around. I have a lot of older customers who spend several hours per week hand weeding. Gives them something to do.

3. lampeslawnservice

lampeslawnservice LawnSite Senior Member

Maybe she has her tried and true methods to weed prevention. You know how the them old people are. THey always have a 50 year old remedy to everything

4. crawdad

crawdad LawnSite Bronze Member

Ask your employer, the little old lady. Apparently she knows something that you don't.
    Crawdad

5. bobbygedd

from NJ

scuse me sir, i am not employed by anyone, nor will i be ever again, for the rest of my natural life

6. crawdad

My mistake, I was using your definition of employed, she's telling you how to do it.
    Crawdad

7. chefdrp

chefdrp LawnSite Bronze Member

Hi Booby. Hows the chem. lic coming? I know you have been working on getting one.

8. bobbygedd

from NJ

not really sir, she has the right (by law) to not allow pesticides on her property. and she has the right (by the almighty dollar) to pay extra for me to mow with a 21"

9. bobbygedd

from NJ

well, i'm trying. i really really want one. do you think you can help, if i have any questions? one of the questions on the test is: " you arrive at your jobsite, where you are to spray an insecticide . located immediatetly next to the site, is a school bus stop, with many children waiting for the bus. you are sure if you make your aplication, the drift will contaminate them. what do you do?" my only logical answer is to spray the insecticide into the childrens eyes, so that they can't identify you. is that the correct answer?

10. crawdad

That's twice you called me sir. That was my Daddy's name, but not mine.