1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Why not a 72\"

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Vibe Ray, Mar 10, 2001.

1. Vibe Ray

Vibe Ray LawnSite Senior Member

I was just wonderin' why most here at LS prefer a 60" ZTR more than a 72" ZTR. I get that impression from reading some posts.
  2. joshua

joshua LawnSite Bronze Member

vibe, rumor has it that the "72 don't throw the grass out as good as a smaller unit.
  3. Daddio

Daddio LawnSite Member

I run a exmark 72,only complaint little short on hp in early
    spring. 26hp fuel inj.
  4. kutnkru

kutnkru LawnSite Silver Member

The unfortunate truth is that with a 6ft mowing deck:
    1. for most applications it is just too large and
    2. more often than not operators do not know how to handle these emense decks in a manner so as not to scalp.

With the 5ft decks you can increase your mowing production, and:
    1. still have people not bawk when they see them on their back lawn.
    2. most operators will be more careful of this size deck than w/ a 52 for instance.

More often than not people who have run the 48 will upgrade to a 52 and find that they have to use the same mentality as the larger deck sizes to avoid scalping the turf. Most however, forget about the extra 4 inches and do more harm than good when mowing.

Unless you are mowing athletic fields or areas that you know are absoultely flat, I would advise staying away from them.

Just my .02
  5. Richard Martin

Richard Martin LawnSite Fanatic

In my case there were 2 reasons not to buy a 72. First off, it wouldnt fit on my trailer. Second off, it wont fit through the doors of my shop.
  6. Eric ELM

Eric ELM Husband, Father, Friend, Angel

I was wondering why you didn't get a 72 inch ZTR. I was also wondering when you are picking up your new mower.
  7. John DiMartino

John DiMartino LawnSite Silver Member

I wanted a 72.but the fact is,most dont follow the terrian well,since my lawn isnt flat ,and my experiences with 72's are they scalp a lot more than a 60.Pwer on most 72's isnt much more than the 60's have-so you have to go slower anyway or bog.
  8. Guest

It all depends on what properties you are doing, all our company runs is 72" decks, we have three 72" and one 88" and also a 12' wide Hustler Range wing and we would never think of running anything smaller than a 72". Just My two cents
  9. Chopper Lover

Chopper Lover LawnSite Senior Member

A 12 foot wide deck... Hmmmm.

What do you do? Pull it off the trailer, put the wings down, engage the blades, disengage the blades, put the wings back up and put it back on the trailer?????

That is ONE HECK OF A MOWER!!

Hehe... I bet it is fun, too!

10. the way it would appear is that the larger the deck you have the larger, flatter, and more open an area you need. something like athletic fields are good for 72's or large fields or whatever. 61's and 60's are fine for those too, but also these machines are better for smaller lawns just not too small. personally i think that the best combo would be a 61" tiger or z and a 48" walker and maybe a 48 or 52" walk behind for big hills. that is just what i think though. maybe if you have big big accounts that justify a 72 make 2 days out of it with a 61 or something (leave the 61 there with another guy to trim and then go off with the walker and the walk behind