Why not B&S engine????

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by nitro121, Oct 20, 2004.

1. nitro121

nitro121 LawnSite Senior Member

I might by a Yazoo/Kee's 48" ZTR for next summer. I just started a small lawn cutting service this year and I used a Walmart riding mower. Well I made enough to pay off the mower, trailer, blower, etc and a little cash. So next year I'm thinking of getting a ZTR and it's between Yazoo and Husq for commercial stuff where I'm at. The Yazoo guy seems to be more about the customer so I'll probably go w/ him. Anyway......

I can get it w/ a B&S for about 1 grand less than the Kaw. But I don't see anyone talking about B&S and he said most pro's go w/ the upgraded engine. Well I'll only be cutting about 10-20 hours a week max....I only cut about 5 hours a week this year but will advertise more and try to pay off this mower this next summer. So what's they deal....B&S not very good....I thought they've been around forever and were a decent engine.

2. proenterprises

proenterprises LawnSite Silver Member

personally I have never had any problem with b/s engines. especially since you are going to be putting on 20 hrs a week max, i see no reason why it would be a problem. plus, i know that a grand saved when you are starting up is huge. i would say go for it. good luck.
  3. bluemoon

bluemoon LawnSite Member
    from Kansas

B&S are junk, cheap and stay away if at all possible. I am sure there is someone out there with a positive thing to say about B&S.
    That Kaw will run circles around that B&S, and last longer. Yea its 1k less in money but it is many k less in value.
    Go with the Kaw.
  4. pjslawncare/landscap

pjslawncare/landscap LawnSite Bronze Member

I like Briggs. I have several mowers and they have Briggs, Kaws, & Kohler. Been running the briggs for ten years and I see no difference in reliability, performance or anything else compared to the others. Actually I have have more troubles from my Kaws & Kohlers, so I guess u could say I like Briggs better.
  5. out4now

out4now LawnSite Bronze Member
    from AZ

Nver have been a fan of B&S myself. Kawi, Honda, Kubota all good. For that many hours a week though it would probably be fine though. Anymore than that I'd be looking to upgrade.
  6. nitro121

nitro121 LawnSite Senior Member

Yeah, I ran about 10 hours every other week....I'm off my full time job every other friday....plus I cut our 3 acres so I probably ran it about 13/14 hours bi-weekly. I'm looking to cut down the time on my lawn too. I figured for what I'm doing the B&S should be ok. That walmart 18.5 hp b&s is running just like the day I bought it. Never know I may upgrade but any tips are helpful. I'm just hoping to pay off the equipment next summer and then start making a profit the summer after.....of course unless this thing takes off and I can make money now.

7. mmacsek

mmacsek LawnSite Senior Member

What kind of Briggs engine is it? There are different "grades". i.e. Quantum, Intek,Vanguard. The Vanguard is made by Mitsubishi ( I think) and is being used on some big named ZTR's. I have one on my leaf loader and have no problems. It's 16hp and a v twin. I don't have alot of hours on it because it doesn't get used daily. On the flip side of the coin, I have 2 Kaw. and they run great. ( 12.5 and 19 hp ) Matt
  8. Envy Lawn Service

Envy Lawn Service LawnSite Fanatic

You will be getting a private message from me. So keep an eye on your inbox. I am experienced with everything in question.
  9. Envy Lawn Service

Envy Lawn Service LawnSite Fanatic

Well I would if everything wasn't friggin' disabled at the moment....
    Ah... technical difficulties....

Got an e-mail address you don't mind exchanging for the info?
  10. dvmcmrhp52

dvmcmrhp52 LawnSite Platinum Member
    from Pa.

This statement is an old outdated mindset.
    Ask small engine mechanics who have an unbiased opinion and you will find that B&S engines are no different than Kawi's or Kohlers.
    B&S has come a long way from where they once were and many of there current engines (bigger bore) are manufactured by Diahatsu.