Why not chains, and not belts?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by tiedeman, Nov 20, 2004.

1. tiedeman

tiedeman LawnSite Fanatic
    from earth

I was just thinking about something, but why don't we use chains and gears for mowers, instead of belts?
  2. Travis Followell

Travis Followell LawnSite Silver Member
    from KY

Belts are faster, easier, and cheaper to replace when they break. And IMO it in unnecessaery to have two sets of gears running in an oil bath to each hydro pump on a ztr. All that means is the mower would be more expensive to buy and more expensive to fix if one of those gears broke. Also if you got on a hill with the gears running in an oil bath the oil would run to one side and starve some of the gears for lubrication. Belts are way to go.
  3. chimmygew

chimmygew LawnSite Senior Member

I had a "White" brand chain drive mower. It sucked. I cannot stress that enough. Put new chains on it, kept it greased and still broke the chain 3-5 x's per week. I always had a bunch of spare links, connectors, and tools with me. Finally sold it and would never even think of owning another mower with a chain again.
  4. YardPro

YardPro LawnSite Gold Member

the cheap dixon ztr uses chain drive. they are a ton of mantenance.
    chains stretch WAY more than a belt ever will.

also they are heavy, and when they stretch they wear the gear teeth. both need to be replaced as a set.
  5. Mo Green

Mo Green LawnSite Bronze Member

I'm not sure if it would be possible to obtain the same blade speed with chains. Man, could you imagine the damage a chain breaking while you are mowing could do? It might tear up your mower, or leg, or whatever else gets in it's way.
  6. tiedeman

tiedeman LawnSite Fanatic
    from earth

I was thinking about it because as I watch American Chopper sometimes they use belts and sometimes they use chains. I just was thinking, why couldn't mowers do the same thing.
  7. YardPro

YardPro LawnSite Gold Member

i thought you were talking about drive componets.

some really heavy duity mowers have shaft drive.

i thought the chaind on the choppers were for deck raising/lowering
  8. locutus

locutus LawnSite Bronze Member
    from NC

An important part of a belt drive is its ability to slip when you want it to, as in a turn. A direct chain drive would not allow one side slip and the other side to pull in a turn, at least given how the current 5-speed transmissions are configured.