Why Not Dixon??

Discussion in 'Homeowner Assistance Forum' started by ZH Turf Man, Apr 11, 2005.

1. ZH Turf Man

ZH Turf Man LawnSite Member

I have been visiting ztr dealers, have looked at Ariens 2148xl, Simplicity Consumer Z, Hustler Fast Trak, and Dixon. They are all pretty much the same price, all around $4600 except the Dixon is a bit more, $4900 for the Kodiak Commercial. They all have the same size engines (20 to 21 hp range), 48 or 50 inch decks but the Dixon seems to be made a bit better. They have more comfortable seats, cast iron spindles that are greasable, and Parker pumps and wheel motors.
    Anyone have any experience with Dixon? Anybody have any comments on the other ztr's that I have looked at compared to the Dixon? Any comments or opinions would be appreciated.

2. Advance The Man

Advance The Man LawnSite Member

This was my thread on a ZTR search that resulted in a Hustler Fastrak 20hp/52".

And this was VTX1300's thread on his search for a ZTR that resulted in a Dixon ZTR.

If you are getting similar prices on a true commercial unit and for near commercial residential units, the choice should be obvious - go with the commercial! :blob3:

3. fivestarlawnken

fivestarlawnken LawnSite Senior Member

I would go with the hustler without looking back!!!!! Tough mowers all around.I wonder how hustler dealers there are compared to dixon dealers??? :waving:

4. ECS

ECS LawnSite Bronze Member

I used a Dixon, home owners model, for my ex-boss for three years, then some summer help used it for three years. From what I understand, they are retireing it this year. That mower did as many lawns in one week as as homeowner would do in a year. That would be like a homeowner have the machine for like 120 years. That is not a bad track record for any machine. The drive chains were replaced once, the cone clutch was replaced once, the deck replaced once, the blower replaced once and two years ago a new engine was put in. Consider the cost for major repairs and cost for the original machine, and the Dixon made my ex-boss a good sum of money.

The reason I put this on here is because I see the Dixon get slamed alot. In my experience, the Dixon held up very well.

5. vtx1300

vtx1300 LawnSite Member
    from OKC,OK

So far, I really like my Dixon RAM ZTR ... I spent about $1K less than what you are looking at for that Kodiak.

Like ADVANCE said... read those threads if you are interested in the Dixon or Hustler.

Dixon wasn't mentioned much or at all before I posted about my experience so there's slim information on it here. However, there's tons of Hustler info around here...

If the Hustler had similar features as the Dixon, I probably would have bought the Hustler... however, for the $$s, I was going to have to spend more $$s to get what the Dixon was giving me at my price point. And, now that I have - I really do like my Dixon. It runs very well...

The other item for you to consider is what you really need ...

After mowing some, I have some bumpy terrain and I would have considered something that had some sort of suspension too. However, that just pushes me over my price points. So... might not have been able to do that.

As ADVANCE said... try to go with COMMERCIAL/Heavy Duty built if you can...

6. Restrorob

Restrorob LawnSite Fanatic

I see talk of commercial mowers here but nobody said anything about Dixie Chopper,I've been a service tech. for 14yrs. at a commercial Lawn and garden dealership.We have sold many brands of units over the years,Dixie Chopper is by far the best unit we have ever handled. They are so easy to maintain and hardly ever break down it makes me feel like the maytag repair man! They have the large balloon tires on the rear that just floats across the lawn,The joysticks move with no effort at all. At the end of the day you will feel ready to go out on the town,Just for the heck of it next time you drive by a Dixie Chopper dealership stop in and test ride one.
    You will see for yourself I'm not blowing smoke.
    Good Luck in your shopping !

7. ZH Turf Man

ZH Turf Man LawnSite Member

I appreciate all the replies. It's a fact that there are a lot of good mowers being produced, I decided to go with the Ferris 1500 because of a good dealer being close to where I live, also he left me trade in my Woods pull behind 6 ft mower, and I liked the ride of the Ferris and the way it was built. The Dixie Chopper sounds like a great mower but I don't believe we have any dealers in this area. The Exmark and John Deere seem to be big with the commercial people in this part of Pa.