Why not just stick to mowing?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Let it Grow, Mar 27, 2005.

1. Let it Grow

Let it Grow LawnSite Senior Member

It seems like almost everyone thinks that they have to start with mowing then move up to landscaping. I can actually make more money mowing lawns than I can doing landscaping. Last year I did both mowing and landscaping (design & build) and people just weren't willing to pay what the landscaping services were worth.
    Have any of you noticed that people seem to think that landscaping is where the real money is?...when all along they could be making great money mowing lawns?
  2. lawnlubber

lawnlubber LawnSite Member

It's not all about money. Landscaping lets you be creative, try new things, adds variety. I'm in this 1 to be my own boss 2 because I love this kind of work and 3 for the money. If I only mowed I would get bored and burned out. The mowing jobs get me in to do the other work.
  3. bobbygedd

bobbygedd LawnSite Fanatic
    from NJ

i think mowing lawns is great. and when you have a nice client base, you have all the extras at your fingertips
  4. Let it Grow

Let it Grow LawnSite Senior Member

I do agree that it's not all about the money, and that is one really nice thing about landscaping, you get a change of scenery. The reason I wrote this thread though is that it seems like so many people think that there is no money in mowing, and that you must be a landscaper to make any money, and be a real businessman.
  5. QualityLawnCare4u

QualityLawnCare4u LawnSite Gold Member

Let it grow, Im going to have to agree with you on this. I gave 3 estimates this week for small landscaping and did not get a one. These were customers that I mowed for and all the prices were between 200-400 bucks for planting, mulch, rocks, and shrub trimming. I would starve to death on landscaping only around here. I need to move to Jersey!
  6. Mark McC

Mark McC LawnSite Bronze Member

Landscaping is a higher-ticket item and there's one truism in sales that you cannot afford to ignore if you intend to head down that road: prequalify your sales leads or spend so much time making presentations to people who have no intention of buying that you won't have time to do the jobs you DO win.

Want to know how to prequalify sales leads? Go to any bookstore and find a sales training book by Zig Ziglar, Tom Hopkins or anyone else. Prequalification is not that big a deal for straight lawn care, although we could do a bit more on the phone to prequalify our prospects. But for the landscape jobs running into $5,000 or more. You bet I will get trained before I start into that end of the business.
  7. lawnman_scott

lawnman_scott LawnSite Fanatic

I agree that people wont pay what landscaping is worth. I would rather be without the aggravation and stick to the constant better money in mowing and maintenance.
  8. Shuter

Shuter LawnSite Bronze Member

I make a good amount of money with mowing only. I only do landscape work for my maintenance customers. Any other leads for landscape work I pass on to a couple of other companies.
  9. bobbygedd

bobbygedd LawnSite Fanatic
    from NJ

the reason most people say there is no money in mowing, is because they don't know how to keep thier overhead in perspective.
  10. Mo Green

Mo Green LawnSite Bronze Member

I mostly do mowing only, but when my customers ask for landscape work, I happily oblige. I enjoy it. It gives a feeling of accomplishment along with some opportunity to be creative.