1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Why not mow in winter?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by jd75760, Jan 11, 2007.

1. jd75760

jd75760 LawnSite Member

What would mowing 7 or 8 more cut's per account do for your bank account?
    Example: 1- 50 lb. bag of Annual Rye @ approx. $25.00 per bag x
    30 account's = $750.00
    8 cut's @ $35 per cut = $280 x 30 = $8,400.00 - $750 = $7,650.00 assuming you mow 2 time's per mth. Nov.,Dec.,Jan.,and Feb. I know this would not be possible everywhere, but I live in Tennessee and have mowed my own yard twice a month during the winter for the past 2 year's. Do a search on jd75760 and view pic's of my yard in Jan. 07. I do agree it's not fun mowing around all my Christmas lawn decoration's in December LMAO, but it beats sitting around watching TV. Price's were used for examples only. I know not every account will want their grass green all year, but for the one's that do why not offer it? Plus you can charge them for over-seeding! :clapping: :clapping:
  2. lawnpro724

lawnpro724 LawnSite Silver Member

Here in IL there is nothing to mow. It would be nice to mow during winter but think will have to wait another 15-20yr for global warming to make that possible.
  3. tjsquickcuts

tjsquickcuts LawnSite Senior Member
    from Atlanta

Its already being done by a few LCO here, including myself....Every Mid Sept, I hit a few of my high-end, commercial, and newly built home with freshly laid turf thats not going to do much growing....But what I do is, I just add a additional $2 bucks per service, and tell my customers that its included in their program.....38 visit X $2.00 = $76.00....plus the extra visit during the winter....its a win win.....the $76.00 really covers the bag of seeds, and the rest covers the cost for me having to drag my aerator on/off the trailer.....
  4. Total.Lawn.Care

Total.Lawn.Care LawnSite Senior Member

I am actually going to seed my yard with winter rye in for next year and offer it to all of my customers. I have several that I can probably include it in the pricing and most of my accounts I service year around anyway. But at least this way they will see that something is actually getting mowed.
  5. dcgreenspro

dcgreenspro LawnSite Senior Member
    from PA

who wants to pay you for it???If you can find the clients, then go to it!!
    But, you guys in the south should be doing this already. I used to help overseed the course i worked out down there while in turf school. The morning after we mowed everything with a reel mower (scarred up the seed and provided good contact w/ soil via roller). After a week or so, germination and green fairways.
  6. Villa Lawn Maintenance

Villa Lawn Maintenance LawnSite Member

We mow year round here. Unless the winter hits hard. Most of the time it is mild. 57 degrees today. Been over seeding winter rye for many years now. 95% of my commercial accounts are overseeded and around 65% residentials are overseeded.
  7. tjsquickcuts

tjsquickcuts LawnSite Senior Member
    from Atlanta

The first two pics are of a lawn that was seeded in Sept....The natural the grass is Bermuda....Look at the neighbors....

The last two pics are of a lawn we seeded about two weeks ago....The first of the last two is the before, and the last pic is as of Monday.....So growing pretty good for just two weeks.....We also did the patio and blocks.....

8. jd75760

jd75760 LawnSite Member

good job Villa Lawn Maintenance. I think more lawn company's around here should over-seed in winter but most just seem to hibornate for 3 or 4 mth's. I don't have a lawn Business right now but if I do get another crew together they should plan on working 12 month's a year because while I would not lowball another company I would offer thier client's this winter service.
  9. jd75760

jd75760 LawnSite Member

tjsquickcuts your pictures did'nt load try again
  10. jd75760

jd75760 LawnSite Member

sorry tjsquickcuts your pics did load