1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

why not slit seed, and aerate?

Discussion in 'Turf Renovation' started by bobbygedd, Sep 10, 2005.

1. bobbygedd

bobbygedd LawnSite Fanatic
    from NJ

since each procedure, serves its own purpose, why does everyone say don't do both aerating, and slitseeding, at the same time?
  2. Turfdude

Turfdude LawnSite Bronze Member

What's the answer professor?? Actually, what's your answer??
  3. bobbygedd

from NJ

i asked you, first
  4. rodfather

rodfather LawnSite Fanatic

Simple. Why would you slitseed directly into your core plugs laying on top of the ground :dizzy:
  5. Jason Rose

Jason Rose LawnSite Fanatic

Ok, give me a good answer to this one... I always thought that areating, and then slit seeding was the best possible way to overseed a lawn! Usually most of the plugs lying around get broken up by the slicer so that's a plus. Another plus is that some of the seed actually falls in the areation holes and germs. there.

If you only areate and seed then it's likely that the only seed to really come up is what's in the holes, running the slicer, or slit seeder, over it gets a much higher % of seed in contact with the soil.
  6. grasswhacker

grasswhacker LawnSite Gold Member

Correct on that answer.
  7. TScapes

TScapes LawnSite Senior Member

First of all, these are two separate services, and should be charged accordingly. You have to charge for both otherwise you are giving them an additional service for free. Who benefits from that? You? No... the customer does.

In an ideal situation, you should average 75-85% return from a core aeration and overseeding. That percentage increases to >90% with slit seeding. If you utilize both services, you are making two trips across the lawn, if not more since to slit seed properly, you should criss cross the lawn.

We charge $40-45 per thousand for Aeration/Seeding with a fert app. We get up to $60 per thousand for Slitseeding!
  8. bobbygedd

from NJ

thank you. we get $105 per k. of course i know you have to charge for each service. but, some people only aerate +seed.
  9. turfsurfer

turfsurfer LawnSite Senior Member

I aerate the entire yard, then overseed, then for an ADDITIONAL charge I will slit seed any large bare areas that will not necessarily fill in with just aeration and throw some more seed in those areas.
  10. dcondon

dcondon LawnSite Silver Member

I did a big job yesterday the same way. It can only help IMO :)