Why not UltraCut on all Exmark mowers?

Discussion in 'eXmark' started by Esby, Mar 27, 2002.

1. Esby

Esby LawnSite Senior Member

If the UltraCut deck is the best deck you make, then why not put it on all of your models? You make a 52 UltraCut for the Lazer Z, why not put it on the the 52" Lazer HP? Now, I am not complaining about the cut of my 52" trivantage Lazer HP, its great and stripes well. But if there is something better, then why not make every mower you put out the best is can be. Your motto is "Nobody Does It Better." Stiving for the best? The increased airflow you get with the UltraCut would be nice on all units. It can't be a cost issue, the UltraCut is just a little deeper...right? Just a curious question. Thanks!

2. eXmark

eXmark Manufacturer / Sponsor

Esby,

I wish it were that easy, we would have to change a few things. Here are some of the things that are involved. We have a few options.

The easiest way is to put the Ultra-cut deck under the unit and loose 1/2" to 1" height of cut. That would put us at 3 1/2" to 4" in transport position.

The other way is to redesign the unit and keep the cutting heights where they are.

Both of these would most likely increase the cost. I believe that if you guys need this and want it our engineers here can do it.

I would put the question back to you landscapers is this something that you want and is their a better cutting deck in the compact mowers? Let us know!

Thanks, Fred.

3. Esby

Esby LawnSite Senior Member

Thanks for your reply...I guess I am not sure if it would be worth it. Like I said, my TriVantage 52" deck cuts great. But, do you think that people would buy your "compact" mowers more over other brands if you had the UltraCut on them? I dont know really, and maybe not, but then again, it would be one MORE thing that you would have over the competition and I know that people wouldn't mind paying a little extra for something that is better. Its kinda like the ECS controls, of course people still bought your walkbehinds with the Pistols before this came out, I know I did. But with the new ECS it set you apart from the rest of the field. People like the feel of not "wrestling" with their machines, and they like not having the pains in their hands after a long days work. A friend of mine, also in the business, has developed carpletounel in his hands from operating the Exmark pistols for so many years....do you think he bought the new controls for his old walkbehinds and also a new TT with the ECS right when is came out, you bet he did. So I guess what I am getting at is; its all about whether or not Exmark thinks this change would increase not only the quality of their products(especially over competitors), but also sales of these "compact" units. What do you think?

4. jman00

jman00 LawnSite Member

as far as cut goes in cannot say about a lazer but my metro is sweet. But i know that scag does make a deck that cuts bahaia grass pretty good i have seen it. i sometimes have to double cut when the grass is really tall. just a suggestion. i am in the market for a z and would like the lazer z hp.

another thing, i see on here a lot of people have the 52 hp but my dealer said that is an odd size and he doesnt sell much of them. My walk behing is a 48 why would i want to buy a z with the same size deck. I know its only 4 inches but i am sure it would make a difference, besides any bigger and i might scare my 1/4 acre lots. is the 52 a wierd size and how much differenc is the 48 52 and the 60 weight cut and manuverability.

by the wasy fred the new handle for my metro works great, good investment for the ease of use. but i am sure you knew that.

5. Vibe Ray

Vibe Ray LawnSite Senior Member

Interesting debate.....I'd like to see what everyone has to say about it. I never cut higher than 4" or lower than 2 1/2", but that is just me......Maybe if you could keep at least that range, it would work out. It certainly would be nice, cuz when buyers are trying to decide on a model by pro's and con's it helps to equal them out so the decision is easier. And if you can improve it, why wouldn't you?! Help me out here, guys!

6. Vibe Ray

Vibe Ray LawnSite Senior Member

Prime example in the last thread "Lazer or HP". Everyone loves the HP, but I'll bet you the resone everyone has trouble deciding is cuz they like everything about the HP (lighter, lower center of gravity, Who wouldn't?), but they like the idea of a better, deeper deck and to a lot, that is priority (the best possible deck). And the people that believe that will go w/ the Full size w/ the Ultra, but it sure would be nice to have the best of both worlds in one!

7. Kent Lawns

Kent Lawns LawnSite Senior Member
    from Midwest

There is a relationship between deck width and deck height.

Exmark needed to deepen their deck when they introduced the 72" deck 3 years ago. They follow suit with the 60" and 52" to keep all Lazers "on the same page" with the 24/12/12 tires, etc.

You have diminishing returns in the deep deck the smaller the cutting width. On most cutting conditions, the 52" wide 4.5" deep deck and 5.5" deep deck cutting quality is the same.

8. 65hoss

65hoss LawnSite Fanatic

The HP is great for what it is made for. The lower center of gravity would be lost if the mower was redesigned to get a deeper deck under it. I have tried cutting with both size decks and I have never seen any difference in the types of grass that I cut. My vote is don't change the HP, its perfect for what its made for. If you want and/or need the other size get the full size lazer.