why only one anti scalp wheel

Discussion in 'eXmark' started by mac43rn, May 23, 2002.

1. mac43rn

mac43rn LawnSite Member

This may be a stupid question, but why only one anti scalp wheel on my 36" tthp. Have not had any problems, but it just struck me as odd this evening in the shop.

2. eXmark

eXmark Manufacturer / Sponsor

Hey mac43rn,

No questions are "stupid", and I'm sure there are more people out there wondering the same exact thing. Take a good look at the way the deck hangs in relation to the frame. There is only one little area where the deck is not in close proximity to either the front or rear tires, which is the rear left-hand side of the deck. As a result, this is the only place that really needs an anti-scalp roller. If you have any other questions, feel free to either create another post or e-mail me at Dustin.Schwab@exmark.com.

Talk to you later,

Exmark Customer Support
  3. brucec32

brucec32 LawnSite Platinum Member

The antiscalp roller on my Lazer Z HP tends to gouge when it contacts turf, especially in turns and especially on sparse turf. Has anyone explored the possiblity of using a very small pneumatic rubber tire on a swivel there instead? Some of the worst damage I've done to turf has been with the little, hard, roller ball there.
  4. eXmark

eXmark Manufacturer / Sponsor

If your going to damage the lawn with the rollers your most likely going to do it when turning into an up hill grade. If causing damage on flat ground then you may want to consider raising them up one hole on the mounting bracket. In some situations raising them one whole may also help you when turning into the up hill grade but in others it can compound the problem. If youÂ’ve got one particular property that your having an issue with you may need to experiment a little. Your best bet is to start out with the factory recommended setting as shown on the deck of the deck and then move up if required.

We have looked at the swivels anti scalp designs and the concept is good however most manufacturers that have tried them have abandoned the idea. It seams that if the caster is constantly running on the ground it does not scalp but it lays the grass down and it doesn't get cut. If the caster is suspended in the air like an anti-scalp roller then often it can spin around as the mower bounces across the ground and when it does finally make contact it's positioned in such a manner and causes even more damage.

Anti-scalp rollers are just one of many things we've looked at and will probably continue to pursue.

5. Vibe Ray

Vibe Ray LawnSite Senior Member

6. Esby

Esby LawnSite Senior Member

I generally cut between 2.75 and 3.25 with my Lazer Z HP 52". I raised the anti scalps to their highest position the day I bought it and have never had any problems with them gouging since. Also, with this adjustment, I seldem scalp the turf. Try raising them some, if not all the way up and see if that helps, I'm sure it will.