why pay for a 21" commercial

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by afftandem, Jan 16, 2005.

1. afftandem

afftandem LawnSite Member

i bought this 22" toro recycler last year and didnt care at all for the mulching it did.. lousy job.. ive heard that the super recycler was much better.. had a 21" craftsman (say what you will) but it mulched excellently and made the lawns look great, but now its dead.. looking to purchase a 21" commercial and noticeed that the toro commercial uses only the recycler, so im leary on buying one.. has anyone else used these and had the same experience, or did i just get a dud.. it leaves a trail of grass on the side. you can even see where the tires have been on the toro, the craftsman you could just see the mow. the craftsman even mulched well in spring or any thick grass. also what is a good mulching mower snapper, honda, what???

If im not mowing alot with it whats the purpose of paying for a commercial.. the craftsman did such a great job with the mulch and it lasted for a yr/half.. and i put it through some hell.

does anyone know about cub cadets 21" commercial... i found one a few months ago on a web site but nuthn on the cub cadet web site.. (maybe discontinued this yr. or opposite, new this yr)

does honda 5.5 commercial engines do the job??? snapper and toro have 6 and/or 6.5 kaw. on some of theirs.. is this better for mulching?? more power??

also no wheel marks on the craftsman again.... mine had the high wheels in the back and self propelled front wheels... i think this is why it didnt track.

Any suggestions??? and does anyone know of any yellow commercials to match my wright sentar, besides cub cadet??

2. JimLewis

JimLewis LawnSite Fanatic

3. Bray

Bray LawnSite Member

I would rather use a trimmer than a 21' mower. I have a toro but I only use it every 2 weeks. If you can buy a craftsman every year and a half I'd say keep doing it. The toro I have is about nine years old and I bought a craftsman my wife liked (no extras) so she could get some exercise. I actually like to push it better than the toro.

4. mtdman

mtdman LawnSite Gold Member

I've used my share of crapsman 21 inchers throughout the years. They are tough machines and don't usually have engine problems. The problem I find with using homeowner versions of smaller mowers is in the wheels. We always had problems with those crapsman wheels busting off and pulling out of the deck. The cub 21 inch mower I use has more solid wheels and I switched to using those a while ago.

For me, with the fenced in yards and smaller areas I sometimes have to get into that I feel are too big to trim and would rather mow, a 21 inch mower is a necessity.

5. saw man

saw man LawnSite Bronze Member
    from utah

You bought a piece of crap Toro steel deck, and a Sears mower! You are not in the same league as an high end, even good residential mower status!

The Honda or the Toro comm. may work great for you depending on your conditions!

6. brinlee lawn

brinlee lawn LawnSite Senior Member

I have a toro proline 21 incher super recycler with the suzuki 2 stroke, it is a very good mower, it mulches very well.

7. ITL

ITL LawnSite Member
    from SW OH

Afftandem

We are south of Dayton, so likely both mowing the same type of "cool Season" grass mixtures with similar rain conditions. We mulch except one residential that owner wants to pay extra for baging. We have two 21 inch Toro mowers used for small residentials and triming. The newest is a 2004 Proline with the 6.5 HP Kawasaki 3 speed BBC, the older one is a 1986 High end residential 3 speed with Suzuki 5HP?? 4cycle BBC. The old high end residentials were built similar to the Prolines. Both mulch well but the 6.5 HP Kawasaki in the 2004 model handles the heavy wet early season grass without engine bogging down. The added HP and Torque of the newer engine seem to pay in the extreme conditions. Possibly the 18 year old engine is not putting out 100 percent power either. My thought on commercial versus residential is if you are going to buy a push non-self propelled then they are worth considering with frequent replacements. If you want self propelled then move to the commercial for durability. Myself, I want the mower to pull itself (sometime me on the grades). The rear drive Toro does that well.

Your question on the Cub Cadet commercial with caster wheels and found the similar MTD Pro at Sams for 399USD. They had a less expensive version of the 6.5HP Kawasaki but did not look like they would last long including the drive system. We paid IIRC 1009 for our Proline and have been pleased.

Good luck with your purchase. If you have specific questions let me know. I might be asking you some questions on your Wright Sentar as I debating for a large walker, Stander, or Sentar. If you wait until spring you could try it out as I get to Dayton once a week.

Best regards

Wayne