Why Quit

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by larryinalabama, Jun 17, 2008.

1. larryinalabama

larryinalabama LawnSite Fanatic

Ive been reading several threds in the past 3 weeks about people wanting to sell or quit their business. One feller dropped half his accounts and was thinking of going to work at Home Depoit. Ive been working for the MAN for too many years to count and I dont understand why someone would give up on a successful business. I sold my business in So California in 1993, but the only reason I sold out was to move. I still miss it to this day. Now I find myself wanting to get back into it. Why would anyone want to quit running their own business and go work for the MAN?

2. who is this "MAN" you speak of.

3. LawnBrother

LawnBrother LawnSite Senior Member
    from SW Ohio

It's just not for some people. Either you think it's worth making it work or you don't. I wouldn't keep doing something I hated, or didn't make enough money at. Sometimes an opportunity comes along that's too good to pass up. None have come my way yet hahahaha.

4. ProStreetCamaro

ProStreetCamaro LawnSite Platinum Member

I think some people might feel with the economy the way it is that they should sell and get out while there business is still worth something. They fear they will loose there customer base and then what would they have left? Alot of equipment and no customers.

5. larryinalabama

Corpporate America.............Im not against Corporate America I would just rather work for myself

6. Carolina Cuts

Carolina Cuts LawnSite Bronze Member

I quit years back (16-24 years old)... went to work for corporate..... was promised "Never any layoffs", instead, they eliminated my position and offered me A) the door... or B) a lesser position making less money. THANKS! They found a loop hole to keep their promise.
    I left.
    Went to work for a Home Automation company installing high end home theaters, lighting, security in 5+million dollar homes. That was depressing for one... TWO, the owner out priced himself out of the market, lost tons of work to Best Buy and Circuity City... another lay off.... refusing to go on unemployment, I went to work for a landscaper... learned alot, but hated being a foreman for 'someone else' as he sat in the office all day and made alot of money. Got layed off at the end of the summer.... took my unemployment, packed up my sh*t and moved outta state.... tended bar on the ocean for a summer and thought about what I really wanted for myself... took some money, bought some equipment.... started over again. Been ditch diggin' and ridin' mowers for 3 years now... overall, I'm happy and making a living....

I suppose a part of me likes NOT knowing exactly how much money I'm gonna make at the end of the week.... could be $500..... could be $3000.... it's all up to me.... never really cared for... "Hey, it's friday, here's your check, the same as last week... spend it wisely"

7. Roger

Roger LawnSite Fanatic

If "giving up" means selling, this may be the best thing to be done. Many folks have done well for themselves financially, as well as accepting the challenge of entrepreneurship, by selling their successful businesses. Sometimes keeping a successful business is the wrong thing to do. The owner may see a downturn in the future, and choose to sell while the business still has value.

Often the same thing is said on these threads, "... not wanting to work for somebody else." It is stated as if it is a bad thing to do. Many, many people have had very successful careers only working for somebody else.

Clearly, some people are not cut from the fabric of entrepreneurship, or business ownership. This Board is highly populated with these folks. In reading some of the posts about running a business, building a business, financing, marketing, legal, etc., they should be working for somebody else. They are destined to loose in the long run. That does not make them a bad person, it does not put them any lower than anybody else. That is just the landscape of the business world. I think the success rates of new business are about 2 of 10 in the first five years. That means that many who thought they wanted to be business owners were unable to make it happen for the long run.

8. White Gardens

White Gardens LawnSite Fanatic

I hear you, I thought about working for someone else but then I realized that I would be putting my faith of labor into the hands of a company that might not be around in 10 years.

It used to be that you could get a good job, benifits and all, and you had the security of knowing that you couldn't get canned or layed off. Now, it seems like every company is down-sizing, or making it that all new worker are labled as part-time in order not to pay them benifits. Nothing like working 38 hours a week and being called part-time.

9. larryinalabama

10. KGR landscapeing

KGR landscapeing LawnSite Bronze Member

mentally this is a tough job. when your not busting your butt cutting grass building things cleaning up properties. to keep your head above the water in this feild is a challange. other companys cut your prices customers wont always pay up. your guys need more money you need more money because your over head is an ever climbing hill these days. Customers drive me nuts boss's drive me nuts if dying was an option id be in a box in the ground by now. And hey i lose alot of sleep if a job at home cheapo would get me to a place where i could live normaly and enjoy my family and friends ido go there too. i havent lookd yet but it might be something that ill do in the near future.