1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

why redmax 8001 blower is so heavy

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by texpro, Sep 28, 2007.

1. texpro

texpro LawnSite Member

thank yow to all who replied to my post asking about the 8001 red max blower i just bought one to start replacing our aging stilh br 420s and what a machine if it were lighter we would be airborne the switches seem a little flimzy but what power i hope it holds up like tme 4 stilhs we have they seem like toys comparitevely again thanks any input on longetively would be appreciated
  2. razor1

razor1 LawnSite Bronze Member

How much did it cost? I'm thinking about getting one.
  3. texpro

texpro LawnSite Member

489.00 w tax and a full tank of gas which by the way i filled up 3 times in a 9 hr day it uses alot of gas
  4. dcondon

dcondon LawnSite Silver Member

Ours use a lot of gas also but the power makes up the difference. If you have a tube mount throttle watch out for the switch to go bad. We have had a couple of problems.
  5. MikeLT1Z28

MikeLT1Z28 LawnSite Bronze Member

keep in mind that's like a 79cc engine on there... it's not gonna be that light or fuel friendly. cut the throttle back to only as much air flow as you need and you'll save gas.
  6. topsites

topsites LawnSite Fanatic

Yeah they do eat a lot of fuel, but my br600 gets the job done in less fuel per job.
    Amazing how it makes the 420 a piece of crap in comparison, I remember when I first bought the 420 I thought I had something, even the br550 hardly seems an appropriate tool anymore. But when compared to the 420, it sucks more fuel per hour but less per job because it gets done so much faster.
    That's been my experience, I think yours is slightly better than my 600 as well.

What mike said, keep the rpm's down to what you need, I cleared a sidewalk of some light fluff today on idle...
    Doesn't always work like that, but to make the point.