Why Rubber Mulch Should Be Ruled Illegal By The Fire Marshall's

Discussion in 'General Industry Discussions' started by SOMM, Jan 17, 2008.

1. SOMM

SOMM LawnSite Senior Member

Saw this on the news just this am. Thought of the rubber mulch installed a few years back directly adjacent local mall's entrance right next to entry/exit doors :dizzy: where cigarette butts are usually flung by shoppers :hammerhead: :

2. MarcSmith

MarcSmith LawnSite Fanatic

i have to put about dozen of mulch fires each year on campus, and I use shredded hardwood. I don't think I have ever heard of rubber mulch catching on fire.
  3. steve5966

steve5966 LawnSite Member

Put a lit cigarette on you truck tire and let me know when it starts to burn.
  4. packey

packey LawnSite Senior Member

I have never seen rubber mulch catch on fire. I am not saying it is not possible but it is no more likely than wood mulch
  5. Marcos

Marcos LawnSite Gold Member

Are you kidding?

Rubber mulch is catching on around here big time and I see nothing stopping it.

The development of this market, almost exclusively from worn out tires, I would say probably ranks as one of the top ten 'unsung' environmental achievements we've seen in the past couple decades !!

And after a long period of a monopoly of sorts by its almost exclusive use by municipalities, a greater number of competitors in the market, and better production facilities has made the price of it become more attractive now for a lot of landscapers and homeowners.

Every mulch can be made to burn in the right conditions.
    I haven't seen evidence the rubber mulch is any worse in this aspect than hardwood, pine straw, cocoa shells or whatever...

Don't be afraid of the future....!
  6. NCIlandscaping

NCIlandscaping LawnSite Member

Kids have been known to get cut on belts in tires from this stuff too
  7. 1wezil

1wezil LawnSite Senior Member
    from tn

in wood mulch you can find nails also ,if you look hard enough you will fine something wrong with anything so then what ? i use a lot of hardwood mulch dyed black we like it . pine mulch can burn , any kind of wood mulch will burn given the right conditions ....
  8. Marcos

Whatever doesn't kill them should only work to make them stronger!
  9. Marcos

I suppose, in theory, you could find quite a few nails in rubber mulch, too !
  10. mag360

mag360 LawnSite Silver Member

Cocoa shell mulch is supposedly pretty fire resistant and shouldn't have any foreign objects in it. We plan on trying to build a market for it here in southeast Pa.