Why Scag's V-Ride scares me.

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing Equipment' started by HenryB, Mar 22, 2013.

1. Blade Runners

Blade Runners LawnSite Bronze Member

We don't have any standers where I'm at either. Customers sometimes want to look at it and ask questions cause they've never seen them. 1 account we have is simply because of the V-Ride. We sometimes use a residential JD and the customer asked if we could mow her yard with "the big orange mower."

We don't have any issues with our 52 v-ride scalping but we don't use it to mow ditches or really uneven terrain either. That's why I bought a 36 wb with sulky. I haven't found anything yet it can't mow and do a good job on. I think a small wb is a must for any business. They are just so versatile, esp when you add a sulky.

2. Rvldesign

Rvldesign LawnSite Member

I've had a lot of customers and other people stop to ask about the "orange thing". Said they like it a lot and that it makes mowing the yard look fun. I just h e to remind them it's still hot and they don't want to do it.
    Posted via Mobile Device

3. Blade Runners

Blade Runners LawnSite Bronze Member

Just remind them it is $7000 worth of fun and they won't have a problem with keeping you mowing their lawn. Your average person has no idea how expensive these things are. Hell, I thought I was big time when I bought my first residential JD for my own lawn:laugh:

4. Rvldesign

Rvldesign LawnSite Member

Yea I've told them how much it cost and said you will have to use it for over 6 years to break even with this purchase and they usually oh wow ill keep watching.
    Posted via Mobile Device

5. IRRITECH

IRRITECH LawnSite Senior Member

On flat ground you can "cut a circle" around a walkbehind, though on flat ground a rider will cut a circle around your stander. These standers WILL NOT cut anymore of a slope than a rider. So you will always need a walkbehind in areas with slopes. They might be the newest thing, but they are really not that versatile or useful of a machine.

If you have alot of flat ground and a tight budget then they may work just fine for you.

A 40" TORO grandstand correctly set up by a dealer is slower than an Exmark metro on flat pavement. Food for thought.

A 36" Exmark Vantage is faster than a 48" Turf Tracer w/sulky but not appreciatively so.

On Bermuda turf, the bigger tires on a Vantage either cause turn damage or result in a slower turn than a TT.

I have run these machines through my own testing procedures and this is what I have found.

6. MTenterprises

MTenterprises LawnSite Senior Member

I had almost decided to go to ALL walk behinds ( exmark turf tracer and Viking) but got a great deal on my vride. I will not go back to sit down ztrs. They are ridiculously heavy and overkill in most situations. It's really more of a " hey look at me, I have a zero turn" kinda thing with many yard guys.

7. IRRITECH

IRRITECH LawnSite Senior Member

Have to agree with you on that one. If you have good flat ground and got a deal on the stander, good for you. I actually like the vantage on open level ground.

8. DA Quality Lawn & YS

DA Quality Lawn & YS LawnSite Fanatic

I can see keeping a WB at all times and making the decision between a stander and Z.

9. knox gsl

knox gsl LawnSite Platinum Member

For me the combination is a 52" Vride and a 36" Turf Tracer. Very versatile and fast for residentials.

10. dathorpe

dathorpe LawnSite Senior Member

I have several single home, 7-12 acres properties to mow on a weekly basis. I mow them with 60" riders and believe me, it's not to have someone "look at me". And don't try to tell me that a stander would do just as well.