Why 'screed'?

Discussion in 'Landscape Architecture and Design' started by georgel, Jul 13, 2001.

1. georgel

georgel LawnSite Member

Why do we call it 'Screeding' when it could be called 'leveling' is there a fundemental difference that I am missing?

2. BRL

BRL LawnSite Bronze Member

The word screed means the tool that you use to make walls or paved, or concrete surfaces level; or the result of using such tools. So it is common to say screeding for leveling, because we use a screed to level.

3. Stonehenge

Stonehenge LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Midwest

Yup - terminology of the trade. Also, you usually aren't 'leveling' it per se. You usually are putting a pitch on it, so 'leveling' would be a misnomer.

4. Lanelle

Lanelle LawnSite Bronze Member

What a great question! This is a nifty bit of landscape 'trivia'.

5. georgel

georgel LawnSite Member

What if the ground that you were installing the paver was perfectly flat? Would you still be putting a pitch on it?:D

6. CMerLand

CMerLand LawnSite Senior Member

George,

Yes you would so that water runs off of it away from the house. I believe the rule of thumb is one inch per 10 foot but may be wrong as im not a concrete guy.

CMerLand

7. georgel

georgel LawnSite Member

CMerLand,

I was just havin fun with it. 'Screed' is just such an interesting word that I wondered if there was some background with it. Never the less, fear not. I shall here to not question the ancient ways of landscraping ,uhh scaping again :D

Thanks all for the feedback

8. BRL

BRL LawnSite Bronze Member