1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Why should I buy a Hustler?

Discussion in 'Hustler Turf Equip (Archived)' started by Ty Webb, Apr 28, 2006.

1. Ty Webb

Ty Webb LawnSite Member

I am looking at Mini-Z and Super Mini.

Why should I go with a Hustler over another brand?

Looked at the following:

Ferris IS1500Z 21 horse Kaw 52"
    Ferris IS2000Z 25 horse Kaw 52"

SCAG Tiger Cub 23 horse Kaw 52"
    SCAG Tiger Cub 19 horse Kaw 48"

Dixie Chopper Silver Eagle 25 horse Generac 50"
    Dixie Chopper Silver Eagle 20 horse Kohler 50"
    Dixie Chopper Coatesville Classic 25 horse Generac 50"

Dixon Mountain Kodiak 25 horse Kohler 50"

Simplicity Ciation 23 horse Briggs 52"

What makes Hustler Mini-Z and Super Mini any better than these? What are the differences? What are the similarities? Why should I spend my money on a Hustler? Be specific.

Thanks for the help and your replies,

2. mowerconsultant

mowerconsultant LawnSite Fanatic
    Male, from Syracuse, NY

First of all I will talk about the Super Mini Z, this is because you can not compare it to the units you have listed here.
    Here is why...
    The Super Mini Z comes standard with larger pumps and wheel motors, hydro coolers, hydro cooler fan, suspension seat and a ground speed of 13mph, the mowers you have listed here do not.

Overall the reasons to consider the Hustler over the others is...
    Better frame (lifetime warranty)
    Lower overall position of the mower, handles hills better, also shorter over all, we turn the engine sideways to shorten the length and make it easier to service.
    More engine options, plenty to choose from.
    Lifetime warranty on the leading edge of the deck.
    Lifetime warranty against hydraulic leaks
    2 year bumper to bumper warranty, 3 years on the spindle and castor bearings.
    Parking brake is integrated into the steering levers, this is a Hustler patented feature, less safety switches and also one less thing to do when getting ready to mow.
    Smoothest steering system on the market, test drive it to really see...
    There are many more reasons and I am sure there will be some more replies here.
  3. Ty Webb

Ty Webb LawnSite Member

Thanks for the reply... what is the reason to go up from the Mini Z to the Super Mini Z?

As well, how is the weight the same on both mowers with at 44" deck and 52" deck as per the spec sheet? Not really a selling point but I thought that was strange. Or is that dry weight with out the deck?

FIRESCOOBY LawnSite Senior Member

Demo and see. You're really the only person that can answer that question, but it's hard to answer unless you've run them all. You can't really go on anybody elses word, because their criteria and client base may be different. I only demo'd two (Mini-Z and Gravely) as those were my only two options. I have a dealer within 20 miles who sells Exmark and Scag, but unless you're spending $25k a year, they don't want your business, or at least act that way.

My decision was Hustler hands down. They are super smooth. Dealer is one of the most important factors. My dealer is AWESOME!!! Love my Hustler, and unless something happens, they'll be my mower for quite some time!
  5. Nelson Lawns

Nelson Lawns LawnSite Member

Some of the reasons I went with Hustler are:
    • Warranty
    • Dealer
    • Simplicity

oLook at deck on a hustler, not many bolts sticking through, look at other brands, compare. Bolts loosen with time.
    o Look at drive system, simple, no maintenance, steel lines not hoses on others.
    o Look at belts. Only 2, one for deck and one for drive wheels. Some mowers have the belt going up/down and all around, not good for belt life I don’t care whats it’s made of.
    o Look at layout of mower, simple, uncluttered, lift seat on other mowers, some look like a rat’s nest of wires and hoses.
    o Look at maintenance, my mower is a super mini Z 24/52 Honda, 9 grease fittings on whole mower. Motor is sideways, changing oil & filter is simple.​
    • History

o They invented the zero trun in 1964 http://www.hustlerturfequipment.com/about.html
    • Options
    o It can get confusing looking at hustlers simply because they offer so many configurations. Deck,motor,frame​
    • I like the yellow color… (I really do)

Overall, the design of hustler products seems to be redefining the curve, not just ahead of it.
  6. mowerconsultant

Male, from Syracuse, NY

The Super Mini has larger pumps and wheel motors, more hp, suspension seat is standard, hydro coolers and a higher ground speed (13mph)

It is not dry weight without the deck, I am not sure why they are both listed as the same weight, they are close I am sure.
    I will ask around and see what I can find out.

7. mowerman90

mowerman90 LawnSite Bronze Member

"Why should I buy a Hustler?"

There are many reasons but the one that stands out to me is the fact that Hustler uses the biggest pumps and wheel motors in the industry. This makes their drive systems last longer and it makes the mowers go faster.

Another reason to buy Hustler is because of someone like me. I've been in business for almost 17 years and have never owned a better mower. I've had Toro's, Grasshoppers, Husquvarnas, Wright Sentar, to name a few. It's been the most troublefree, it's the fastest, it has the best hill traction, the absolute BEST parking brake system ever, the easiest deck height adjustment mechanisim with the least required effort to operate. You can even change BOTH the hydro belt and the blade belt WITHOUT ANY tools, try that one on a mule drive Exmark. And if you do have trouble call the factory support line. You won't get some foreigner that can't speak english on the phone, you'll get a live human to help you with your problem, quickly to boot. I simply can't say enough about Hustler, I wouldn't even consider another mower! Oh, and by the way, I'm buying another one tomorrow, I just can't get too much of a good thing!
  8. mowerconsultant

Male, from Syracuse, NY

Good to hear from you Ed.
    I see your famous now..... I just received my new Fusion blade litterature... You are the centerfold!!!
  9. mowerman90

mowerman90 LawnSite Bronze Member

Yah, they got one of those things hanging up at my local dealer too. I keep asking if they want me to sign autographs but so far no takers :cool2: ...oh well. Speaking of my deal.....I picked up my brand new Super Z today. 60" with the 28 hp EFI Kohler. Can't wait for tomorrow to see how much time and gas it saves me.
  10. mowerconsultant

Male, from Syracuse, NY

You will love that mower!!!