Why should you buy a Hustler Super Z

Discussion in 'Hustler Turf Equip (Archived)' started by puppypaws, Jul 23, 2004.

1. puppypaws

puppypaws LawnSite Fanatic

I have been told the Hustler Super Z has the fastest ground speed of any ZTR on the market but I also see where Dixie claims to have the same top speed. I have a freind that is in the market for a top of the line mower and I am trying to get him to buy the Hustler Super Z which I have. Could you please give us a list of top ground speeds for comparable mowers and then tell him why he should buy your mower instead of the Dixie Chopper or any of the other commercial mowers. We have the best dealers in the world in our area so buying or getting exceptional service on any mower is not a problem.
  2. mowerconsultant

mowerconsultant LawnSite Fanatic
    Male, from Syracuse, NY

The Super Z has a top factory set speed of 15 MPH.
    There are some other MFG's now turning up there current settings to this speed or close to it (13 MPH).
    I can not give accurate speed #'s for other mfg's, there are to many and some of the mfg's are changing there info as fast as I can type...lol...lol...
    We achieve our higher speeds with better components, larger pumps, larger wheel motors, dual hydro coolers, electric fan forced air cooling of the hydro coolers, and stainless steel formed wheel motor lines (for more cooling and no leaks).
    There are plenty of reasons why he should buy a Hustler over anything else on the market, I could list them here all day long.
    The best bet is going to be for him to demo the Super Z and see for himself, demo the others also, the Super Z will rise to the top.
    Also, have him do some reading here on LS, there is plenty of good info, and a lot of end users with good info also.

3. markindetroit

markindetroit LawnSite Member
    from detroit

I can only give you my opinion on this subject.
    I researched all kinds of ZTR's and wen't to all the dealers, riding, trying, and listeneing why each was better than the others. Some dealers push one brand over the other when they sell several different ones.
    On got on here and read what others talked about. I had never ,ever heard of Hustler. Someone mentioned for me to go check them out.
    For me, since I am cutting just my own lawn ( 6.25 acres ), I wanted something that was going to cut fast, easily and be able to be repaired quite simply and had availabilty of parts. Honestly, I cut my grass pretty fast, but the difference in top speed in irrelevant as you can't cut grass that well at fast speeds. This is a fact that anyone can tell you that cuts grass for a living...too fast equals poor cut.
    I chose my Hustler super z simply because from the components I read about, it seems like the unit with the best parts. Biggest Hydro units, well powered and a very strong frame. Plus the best warranty available ( two years total coverage ).
    Plus the price was unbeatable for the value compared to other manufacturers. I would not, however, have picked this unit simply because it was the fastest. I just think it is built better.
  4. NoWalk4Me

NoWalk4Me LawnSite Member

I've never really been able to demo or use a DC but just in casual observ ation I've noticed that you seem to sit on top of a Chopper vs. a very low seat height on the SuperZ. This would be a factor if mowing on any type of slope or under low clearance tree limbs, etc. The DC's look like fine machines and seem to cut & stripe very nicely on wide open terrain. I guess it's like I've read on this site many times before, it all depends on what your (or your friends) use will be. Some mowers are better for certain things than others. As far as I'm concerned the SupZ met more of my needs (hills, speed,durability, warranty, etc) than any other brand. As far as speed goes, Hustler gets theirs from running higher capacity hydraulic pumps and wheel motors and it really is impressive. Think of it this way, even if you don't have the wide-open spaces to mow at top speed: If you have a boat that will run 80mph and you use it for 8 hours a day at 80mph it will wear on the machine. If you have a boat that will run 120mph and run it at 80mph all day it will not wear nearly as bad. A very smart dealer used this analogy and it seems very credible/logical to me. BTW I wouldn't recommend riding in any boat at 80 or 120 for very long if you want to live!!!! If you can't tell, I'm a little bit partial to my SuperZ.
  5. gene gls

gene gls LawnSite Gold Member

If you are doing a lot of slope work, you need to consider a mower brand with torque rather than speed, such as the ATZ from Hustler. I don't do that much steep work but I have lost the pumps and wheel motors on both sides of my Super Z 60" in 1.5 years. The top speed of 15 mph is about usless because the front castors wobble so much you can't control the machine, and hang on when you start to slow down. I think Hustler would be far better off to start using the pumps and motors from the ATZ on the Super Z and forget about the top speed. You need top speed very little compared to torque for every day mowing.

6. greasy_gun

greasy_gun LawnSite Senior Member

ill have to agree with u..
    that torque is where the cut is at...at least in my neck of the woods