1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community on the Franchising Forum.

Dismiss Notice

Why so few standers?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by blade cutter, Jan 6, 2010.

1. Pat'sPerfectLawnService

Pat'sPerfectLawnService LawnSite Senior Member

i think people just dont want to stand while mowing

2. mowzilla

mowzilla LawnSite Member

the thing i don't like about the stander is being able to lift the deck, you have the ability to lift with the 'handlebars' ( walkbehind) and foot lift (ztr) whereas maybe not so easy with stander.. and we all know at some time (especially if you are very cut-quality conscious or anal about scalping) you'll need to be able to lift the deck.. otherwise, i would like the stander and will demo one this spring.

3. grassman177

grassman177 LawnSite Fanatic

they make rapid height standers for just that, although it may be akward to do if you look at them, i persnally dont like them, i like the fixed deck versions. i have never had an issue with scalping as the wheel base is soooo short and compact

4. djchiodo3

djchiodo3 LawnSite Senior Member

Why stand when you can sit? Most commercial mowers come with suspension seats and a few are adding rubber stabilizers like Xmark under the seat. Maybe it's just me, but the Standers are smaller then most commercial ZTRs, therefor they should coast less. Problem is, they cost more.

5. Cummins343

Cummins343 LawnSite Silver Member
    from Kansas

That's what I run are wrights. Here in Kansas City, that's the only mower companies will use here.

6. mowzilla

mowzilla LawnSite Member

i have used all but the standers, and i want to give the stander a shot 'cuase i am very intrigued by them..however: at the end of the day my #1 concern is to have a finished cut that is superior to all of my competitors, so I am going to use whatever mower is right for whatever property i am on at the moment, the mower i use the most being a 36 walkbehind..but i use my ztr where it works, 21 where it is needed, and a stander might be a gap filler for me ( although i am leaning toward a ztr/wb setup) ..the demo will tell the tale!!

7. MileHigh

MileHigh LawnSite Silver Member

Everybody and there mama's got one out here.

8. Landscape Poet

Landscape Poet LawnSite Gold Member

Thought Missouri was Hustler country, Kansas too, at least it was in the North East part I am originally from.

9. Valk

Valk LawnSite Silver Member

So which deck will cut/mulch/side-discharge the best overall? And how about in wetter conditions?
    Your mileage varies...as usual!

Turbo Force
    UltraCut
    Velocity
    Wright

10. scagrider22

scagrider22 LawnSite Bronze Member

My Turbo force cut great I just did not care for the stander, I currently use a Ultracut and a Tri-vantage.