Why so many LCO don't cleanup area before mowing

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Mark, Apr 27, 2001.

1. Mark

Mark LawnSite Senior Member

I have noticed that so many LCO out there mow right over trash and just leave it there. Looks like they would loose the account.Even on my commercial stuff by the highways i start off with a plactic bag to clean up the lawn before mowing. Two weeks ago i bid on a apartment complex,and the manager said my price was to high, the crew doing it now has trash all over the place and i told her my price includes picking up the trash before mowing to make the job look much much better,I also told her you get what you pay for,i mow a complex right next to it and she thought she could get me for a much lower price-Not. I still fill that picking up trash is a must if im doing the job. Marks Mowing Service

2. 1st Class Lawns

1st Class Lawns LawnSite Member

I have trash bags on my mowers and always pick up trash.
    Thats just part of my service.
    James

3. Eric ELM

Eric ELM Husband, Father, Friend, Angel

I use the trash bags from W.E.Chapps and a grabber to pick up trash while mowing. One of the worst things to hit is a Kleenex. They look like you ran over a whole sunday newspaper when you hit them. :mad:

4. Fine Lines Lawn

Fine Lines Lawn LawnSite Senior Member

The answer to your question is, They are lazy.
    Ground up trash looks like hell on a lawn and if you don't do it, you'll do well.

5. cos

cos LawnSite Addict

I saw quite a few LCO shreding trash this year.

A guy I know bid on a place and told them about the trash clean up. It was the responsibility of the apartment maintenance to pick up the trash and it was in the bid. He decided to just shred it and lost the account. He didn't want it anyway, cause they were price wranglers.

6. 1MajorTom

1MajorTom Senior Moderator

I'll tell you why they don't pick up the trash.

More than likely, they are a new lawn care company and when they placed their bid, they didn't factor in that there would be trash on the property. When they won the bid, and started mowing, they realized that they would be spending time picking up the trash, and they figured no way were they going to pick trash up for "free".

I know we ran into that situation the first year when we cut for a medical office. New to the business, we never really thought much about garbage. Well the medical office was right across the street from a convenience store. And the trash was everywhere. I would hate going to that account because while Matt went in the back cutting, I was left dealing with the garbage up front. Picked it up, but couldn't wait till the season ended because we dropped that account since we hadn't priced trash cleanup in the bid.
    Live and learn.

And yep Eric, kleenex are the worst!

7. awm

awm LawnSite Gold Member

i cant imagine a real lco just spreading trash
    all over the place.hourly employee at a store or somethin mabe.if a lco did that on purpose you have finally found someone that i might believe to be worthy of the label SCRUB
    APPOLOGIES FOR USING THAT WORD

8. Fantasy Lawns

Fantasy Lawns LawnSite Bronze Member

Lazy Slackers !! .... I hate brown beer bottles that are ditched in the bushes & in the pine bark mulch beds ....or the peanut styrofoam used in packing boxes

9. David Gretzmier

David Gretzmier LawnSite Gold Member

I hate hitting a hidden piece of trash, and i make an effort to pick it up. what about "organic" debris like fruit, pine cones, twigs or sticks? peanut shells? dog leave behind? I've run over most organic stuff except maybe chicken feathers. What do you think out there? dave

10. Skookum

Skookum LawnSite Senior Member

I provide trash pickup as we mow as well. W.E. Chapps bags on every mower. I think it shows the professionalism in your work to leave a property free of mower shredded trash!

My big problems are cigarette butts and straw wrapers. Most are not even from my accounts customers, it is always from the place next door or down the street. I also have too many accounts that are on a state highway with steep ditches that are constantly full of trash. One account is the lowest in a complex where all the drainage water runs to MY account, yeah fun! When the water goes down, after a big rain, the trash does not! The cigarette butts show the high water lines and there are thousands of butts everywhere. Real pain!