Why so many withiout DOT numbers?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Prestige-Lawncare, Aug 3, 2008.

1. Prestige-Lawncare

Prestige-Lawncare LawnSite Senior Member

I work with a lady who's husband is a State Trooper, and assigned to the Motor Freight Carrier Division. After talking to him, anyone who pulls a trailer and has a gross vehicle weight of over 10,000 lbs is required to display DOT numbers on their truck. Along with this are other regulations as well, some of which are that you must carry a fire extinguisher, reflective triangles, inspection by a mechanic, etc.

I have seen him stopped on the road with a few guys (one was an open mowing trailer) .. and though he usually doesn't write them a ticket for that offense, he gives them a good lecture and inspects their rig. He says most guys who use their truck for personal use usually have the numbers on magnetic signs and only run them when pulling the trailer. The numbers also have to be of a contrasting color from the vehicle, and visible from 50 ft.

Still ... I see many, many without the numbers displayed.

What do you do??

2. 2stroke

2stroke LawnSite Senior Member

i also see this alot. i have magnetic DOT signs that i only use when i pull a big enough trailer.

3. Prestige-Lawncare

I think a lot of times the State Police just don't take the time or bother to stop smaller people like us. I personally use a 18' enclosed trailer, so for the most part they have no idea what it is I do or am doing. With those who use open trailers it is much more obvious ... and even more so for the guys who have their trucks lettered or signs on them. I think of more concern to them would be whether or not a guy has his equipment secured with straps, chains or what not ... and fuel containers secured properly.

4. Grits

Grits LawnSite Silver Member
    from Florida

I didn't know I had to have them. What exactly does the 10,000 lbs mean? Is that what your truck and trailer with equipment weighs? Or what it is capable of pulling? If I have to have them I will get them, but I don't see ANY lawn guys (big or small) around here with DOT numbers.

5. Prestige-Lawncare

I think it is what you are capable (or plated) to carry legally. He ask me what size trailer I had, and if it was a single or tandem axle ... and he said I had to have them. I have a '05 F350 with a 8' x 18' enclosed trailer. He also said that since I was a commercial vehicle, which I am since I charge to mow, that I am required by law to have them. He suggested the smaller magnetic signs so I can take them off when I am not using my truck for mowing.

6. Genlandscape

Genlandscape LawnSite Member

Does this vary by state or is it a fed. thing. I don't see any Lco's in my area w/ dot #'s, and or any spray companies w/ them either. I know when I drove a spray truck it was over 26,000lb.gross loaded and required a light CDL. Still no DOT #'s. I have never seen anything smaller than a 10-15yd. dump truck stopped by FHP or DOT. This may be a great thread for the com landscape forum ,some of those guys haul some pretty big s**t!

7. ColePyck

ColePyck LawnSite Member
    from Midwest

I see them on trucks around here, we do not have DOT numbers on our trucks, no one enforces it, and have never seen or heard anyone around getting in trouble for not having them, IMO it just another way for the government to get money outta ya

8. Grits

Grits LawnSite Silver Member
    from Florida

Yes, it is just another way to get money out of you.....just like taxes. You pay taxes, right? It is all part of trying to be "professional" and "legit". It sucks, but it is what it is.

9. willretire@40

willretire@40 LawnSite Bronze Member
    from VA

10. Richard Martin

Richard Martin LawnSite Fanatic

It the Gross Vehicle Weight, not the Gross Combined Vehicle Weight. We're talking pickup and trailer combinations here, not tractor trailers. That little distinction is the key to whether you need the numbers or not.

NC requires me to buy a commercial (weighted) tag since I use my truck for my business. I have a 11,500 pound tag but that is Gross Combined.

My truck's Gross Vehicle Weight is 6250 pounds according to the tag on my door frame. I am not required to have DOT numbers unless I cross state lines.