Why so many z riders?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by dmk395, Mar 17, 2001.

1. dmk395

dmk395 LawnSite Senior Member
    from Ma

Increasingly I have seen a myriad of landscapers on zRider mowers. Sure they look faster than a traditional walk behind unit, but I bet unless you have huge yards, then they really arent worth the added expense. Does anyone else follow me, or am I just too cheap?
  2. awm

awm LawnSite Gold Member

No other change just the z.Pretty big boost to production.
  3. dmk395

dmk395 LawnSite Senior Member
    from Ma

A guy in town that I know bought two of them, and seems to service them alot because of employees smashing them into trees. I don't have the greatest expertise on the issue, hence to first post, but I really do like simplicity of the gear drive walk behind mowers.
  4. skyphoto

skyphoto LawnSite Member

Im just a solo op. So I figure the less I have to walk or stand while mowing the more I can save myself to trim prune etc.I like my 721d Hopper and would not trade it for anything....Maybe Im just a bumb...You are prob. healthyer though!!! For each his own!
  5. Keith

Keith LawnSite Gold Member

You may change your mind. There is something to be said for not being totally beaten at the end of a July day.
  6. bob

bob LawnSite Platinum Member
    from DE

Going from a 48" walk behind to a 60"ZTR is like having 2- 48" walk behinds! Not only are they faster, but having a ZTR will allow you to take on lawns that were too big with just a 48". I had a 48"JD for 6 years before I got my first Grasshopper. I wish that I had bought one right from the get-go! Now I run 2 Grasshoppers and there isn't a large area that I have to turn away. Work smarter, not harder!
  7. skyphoto

skyphoto LawnSite Member

Work smarter, not harder!

AMEN hehe You said it!

[Edited by skyphoto on 03-17-2001 at 04:50 PM]
  8. Eric ELM

Eric ELM Husband, Father, Friend, Angel

I have to agree with Bob, the production is about double or more going from 2-48" W/B's to a 60" ZTR. You need 1 less employee and after a hot day you are not nearly as tired after doing twice the work that you did before and all by yourself.

9. HOMER

HOMER LawnSite Gold Member

The answer to your own question, your just cheap!:D
  10. Lee Homan

Lee Homan LawnSite Member

A little off the subject but have you guys seen how many companies are making Z riders now? MTD, Husqvarna, Cub Cadet the list goes on and on. Even Bush Hog has one out, can you believe Bush Hog making a Z rider? It seems like everybody is trying to get a piece of the pie.