why split app?

Discussion in 'Pesticide & Herbicide Application' started by bobbygedd, May 2, 2006.

1. bobbygedd

bobbygedd LawnSite Fanatic
    from NJ

why do people use split apps for pre em? two full apps, i can understand, but, for example: alot of guys here use dimension .08 and do a split app, instead of using a dimension .13 and doing one app. what is the point?

2. indyturf

indyturf LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Indy

its a good way to spread the cost of the most expensive application of the year over 2 applications. I think 1 application at full rate works just as well, probably better if you time it right!

3. bobbygedd

bobbygedd LawnSite Fanatic
    from NJ

why are u "spreading the cost?"

4. indyturf

indyturf LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Indy

I dont! I do 1 full app. but I think this is a way some people try to cut cost to keep their prices down.

5. turf hokie

turf hokie LawnSite Silver Member

I do 2 apps of .10. Not for splitting cost but to extend my window of control into late June to get the later germinating crabgrass.

However, I have put some .15 down to see if it works that way I can vary my fertilizer a little more on round 2

6. LawnTamer

LawnTamer LawnSite Gold Member

I just use prodiamine (Barricade) I get 7-8 months of control, which is all I need here in the Rockies.:cool2:

7. 6'7 330

6'7 330 LawnSite Bronze Member

Same here, we did one app in 05, and We are going to do single apps of barricade again in 06.

8. tremor

tremor LawnSite Bronze Member

I think this conversation would benefit from another perspective as to why all of the various formulations exist & which markets they belong in. Cost & Crabgrass breaks have resulted in all sorts of bizxare selections this year.

Cool season applications (under .25) shouldn't even consider .13 formulations. There will be too few particles per square foot from most formulators.

When the former Rohm & Haas first brought Dimension to our market they specified it had to be on something like an SGN 215 carrier. I can't find the old R&H data but I believe that data suggested 16-17 particles per square foot. Most (home lawn) applicators today are using SGN 240+ products at 180 lbs/acre. With Pendimethalin this doesn't make much difference. But with Dimension it can. Dow lowered the bar so that the SGN240+ formulators could get on board.

Think about this from a particles per square inch standpoint. Dimension can only move off the carrier just so far. An SGN 215 carrier delivers 1.5 particles/inch (18/ft) at 180 lbs/A. An SGN 240 drops down to just 1 particle/inch (12/ft).

To insure a better formed pre-emergent barrier we want more particles (not just more active) especially on sloping curb edges & thin turf areas where particles are prone to bouncing out of the target.

Early summer apps on sensitive grasses like CRF, Bent & Poa are also going to get dicey with SGN 240 prills with .13-.15 bombs are landing on them. These little dimension bombs are making lots of heavily dosed circular patches that don't always coalesce into a cohesive barrier. Plus each "hot spot" is a likely source of stress for sensitive grasses.

Just what we need in Round 2 especially in areas with a dry June.

I'd prefer to see CT applicators using an SGN215 .10 Dimension at 5.7 #/M than an SGN240 .13 at 4.2 #/M every day if .25 lbs AI/A is their goal. The .118 dimension applicators to our north would do well with a .07 if they're delivering it on the right carrier.

The down side is you'll have to use a lower analysis fert & carry a few more bags on the truck in some markets.

9. ThreeWide

ThreeWide LawnSite Bronze Member

Looking strictly at granular......

I actually think the spreading cost factor is not true. Say you purchase product for 2 rounds of Barricade 0.25% to apply at 0.5 lbs AI per acre and then compare the cost to doing one round with Barricade 0.50% at 1.0 lbs AI per acre.

Your total product cost for doing one round of Barricade will be less than splitting into two rounds. This would be true for most any granular preemergent because the each bag includes cost for fertilizer and inert matter. The fewer bags you buy, the cheaper your total cost. Usually the higher percentage of AI gives you more bang for the buck.

10. upidstay

upidstay LawnSite Bronze Member
    from CT

I do split apps because they work best here in CT. 2005 was a banner year for crab grass growth. I did split apps, 6-8 weeks apart of Dimension .1% and had virtually no crab grass break through. Did a lwan with one app of .15% and it was covered by the end of august. Split apps greatly extend the window of control.