1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Why Spread Sod When It's 40 Degrees ?

Discussion in 'Turf Renovation' started by LawnMowerKing10, Jan 25, 2011.

1. LawnMowerKing10

LawnMowerKing10 LawnSite Senior Member

Today , I was on my way home and saw a local contractor out spreading Sod at the new school being built when it is 40 degrees and going to snow 3 inches tomorrow . Why would you spread sod in the middle of winter ?
  2. because your up against a deadline and the general says get it done.
  3. Smallaxe

Smallaxe LawnSite Fanatic

Is the ground frozen?
  4. johnsonslawnmanagement

johnsonslawnmanagement LawnSite Senior Member

We lay sod year-round in mississippi. Never had any problems. We won't lay sod on frozen ground but we lay it all winter
    Posted via Mobile Device
  5. NC Greenscaper

NC Greenscaper LawnSite Senior Member

We lay it all winter also n NC. Needs alot less water when its dormant.
  6. Barefoot James

Barefoot James LawnSite Senior Member

Because you can! - that's why it cost so much - it fits in lots of windows of opportunity$$. Should be fine.
  7. MudslinginFX4

MudslinginFX4 LawnSite Bronze Member

should be no problem. the snow will also keep it watered in for a while
  8. Showpropserv

Showpropserv LawnSite Member
    from mn

whats the prob the latest one we have done in mn was mid november the high for the day was 30. Turned out great in the spring and yes that sod was frozen
  9. Smallaxe

Smallaxe LawnSite Fanatic

Now that's pushing the envelope... good to know... and glad to hear it... :)
  10. Jason Rose

Jason Rose LawnSite Fanatic

I've wondered this myself. I didn't think sod would send roots down while it's dormant... ]

Local high school just a couple blocks from me had sod laid, a LOT of it in mid december. followed by NO water for 2 or 3 weeks. I saw one one warm day a few weeks back they had the irrigation on, but there looked to be broken lines or missing heads as the water was just flowing out of the ground by the sidewalk near the road for several hours. Go low bidder!

I'm curious to see the outcome in april. I don't think it's going to matter much, they won't care for it anyway. What was laid last summer half died by fall because of too much water, than not enough, then letting it get a foot tall before mowing, then cutting at like 2". What a huge waste of MY money!!!