Why Standers?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by FELPRO, Aug 19, 2003.

1. FELPRO

FELPRO LawnSite Member

Why Standers?

Here in Australia no-one uses standers or large walk behinds. Everyone is using or buying ZTR's nowadays.

Why do yo'all use those machines?
    Is there enough of a price diff to make it worthwhile?
    Is it cheap or unskilled labour?
    What's the attraction?

Please explain.

2. AL Inc

AL Inc LawnSite Bronze Member

The attraction for me is outstanding dealer service. Not that I've had many problems, but when I do, they fix the machine while I wait.
    I like the quality of cut, the machine is comfortable to use, and will go almost anywhere. Most of the properties we do are 1 acre, but there are a lot of tight areas and hills, and these machines get the job done for us.
    Not that I wouldn't consider a rider, it's just that right now, the Standers are getting the job done. Mike

3. DUSTYCEDAR

DUSTYCEDAR LawnSite Fanatic
    from PA

they take up less space on the trailer

4. Tbarchaser

Tbarchaser LawnSite Senior Member
    from Florida

shortest wheelbase of any mower perfect for small props but quick enough for the open areas.

5. MacLawnCo

MacLawnCo LawnSite Bronze Member

more HP than wbs

looks like a wb... allows you to "sneek" them onto nit picking clients' lawns (some of my clients are afraid of Zs on their lawns)

faster than wbs

6. Standers are more productive than sit-down ZTR’s around obstacles, tight places, and on slopes. Making them ideal for residential and small commercial accounts. Plus they track lighter than a ZTR of the same size. They are much more productive than WB’s in almost every situation.

7. sheppard

sheppard LawnSite Senior Member

THE primary reason for a Stander is safety! Yes, dittos on all the other comments for the unique aspects of the Stander but IMHO getting off a sliding, pitching mower is reason # 1 (along with a better visual advantage of the upcoming ground- seated Zs don't offer that).

Getting it unstuck is reason #2: working the controls while rocking it off the side is easier than with a seated Z.

Lastly, it is SOLID! No muss, no fuss. It just cuts grass efficiently and with minimal stress on your body. God made us to stand on our feet all day...not sit on our rears. Much easier to stay warmed up when its time to trim and blow than having been seated for an hour or two.

Cordially,
    Sheppard

8. brucec32

brucec32 LawnSite Platinum Member

You're using a stander on properties that take 1-2 hours just to do the mowing on? Wow.

9. HarryD

HarryD LawnSite Bronze Member

I demoed a 52"GD stander about 3 weeks ago and absolutely hated it. I could not mow under pine trees with it because of the shortness of the deck . Could not get the thing to track straight so I had to feather the controls . also was a bit wet the first day I demoed it and the thing was slipping and a sliding all over :mad:

Bluesteel
    Ill stick with my non productive Exmark WB :cool:

the only way the standers are faster then a WB is if you are actually walking :rolleyes:

10. MacLawnCo

MacLawnCo LawnSite Bronze Member

HarryD,

try the real deal...the Wright Stander. After that, I imagine you would change your tune.