1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community on the Franchising Forum.

Dismiss Notice

Why such a large increase in mulch $?

Discussion in 'Nurseries and Growers' started by Grn Mtn, Apr 10, 2006.

1. Mr. Vern

Mr. Vern LawnSite Senior Member

We produce mulches of several varieties including colored mulches, and what Duekster said is dead on for us this year. Every expense in our supply chain has increased several percent since January 06. I re-run the costs analyses every quarter, and this January we decided to pass the cost along to our customers. We raised our prices just over 5% so it looks like a large jump, but it just gets our margins to where they were 3 years ago. We will watch them erode for the next several quarters, and when they drop by around 5% we will raise our prices again. Fuel is an absolute killer as are wages and payroll burden.

The comment about co-gen plants buying it all up is accurate as well. We were able to negotiate much better pricing from our co-gen customers this year - we had to guarantee them certain minimum supply to get the good prices, but they are motivated to buy fuel.

2. rlander06

rlander06 LawnSite Member

I have two place here in Rochester that sells triple ground for $20.00 a yard.
    I don`t know what they charge for delivery, I can find out if you`d like.

3. Rlclawnguy

Rlclawnguy LawnSite Member

who in Rochester sells for $20 a yard?

4. rlander06

These are the two companys that sell mulch for $20.00 in Rochester that I know of. Cobblestone Nursery, Whittier Landscape and Design

5. Rlclawnguy

are those on the westside of the city?

6. Duekster

Duekster LawnSite Fanatic
    from DFW, TX

I hate it when I am right :)

7. rlander06

Greece area:cool2:

8. Rlclawnguy

We sell triple ground for $21 to contractors @ Wambachs in Penfield

9. Danltiger

Danltiger LawnSite Member

Never heard of either Cobblestone or Whittier in Greece. Do you have phone numbers, Rlander?

10. rlander06

Sorry its Cobble Creek Farms in Spencerport Ridge Rd. Phone 352-8484