Why the "slanted" front on the Velocity Plus?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by tb8100, Apr 30, 2008.

1. tb8100

tb8100 LawnSite Bronze Member
    from TX

[​IMG]

Is it to help capture blowout on the front?

2. DCE

DCE LawnSite Senior Member

Provides room for the grass to straighten up going into the cutting chamber due to the vacuum of the deck? Also note how the leading edge is reinforced from the inside as opposed from the outside. Provides a cleaner appearance of the deck.

3. tb8100

from TX

That's what I've always thought, but the front baffle bends it back over again before it's cut. However, there is a small space between the front baffle and the blades in which the grass can stand up before being cut. This space reduces vacuum I'm sure, but this deck is not set up to vac and recycle like an Ultracut.

Does this air pocket have anything to do with the reduction of blowout?

4. tacoma200

tacoma200 LawnSite Fanatic

I think the space in front of the blades is the key to it's success. Yes it along with the large exhaust chute lower the lift so it is more dependant on giving the grass space to stand up. It is a compromise between an open deck design and a tight high lift design like the Ultra Cut. I think its a pretty good compromise. It will handle much taller wetter turf than say the Ultra Cut, Gravely, Grasshopper and other high lift decks that recycle grass many times before sending them out and still leave a pretty decent cut. The trade off is the cut is not hardly as good as the higher lifts decks but still very good. I have both and I can tell you the Velocity gets more use because it will get the job done when the Ultra Cut would struggle. The velocity still has good lift but it does have some blow out. Having both kind of decks is very handy, but the Scag gets 75% of the work. No clumps, great in tall grass, thick grass, and I give up very little in cut appearance. Especially on large lot's you would never know the difference. Small manicured lots benefit from the smoother cut of the Exmark. Most customers do not get on their knees to inspect the cut that close. They just look at the lawn as a whole and see a good cut with no stringers and that's good enough for most of my customers. Having said all that the Velocity gives an excellent cut in good turf. The thicker the grass the better. The high lift blades Scag puts on them help close the gap as far as lift goes.

5. tb8100

from TX

Yeah, I noticed Scag uses a longer foil than alot of other mowers. I guess to compensate for the lack of vacuum due to the larger baffling.

6. ed2hess

ed2hess LawnSite Fanatic

This deck has so much blow out that is hardly tolerable in dry conditions......I got a new 61" and it is very very bad. I have to use dust mask and special googles to keep stuff out of my eyes. But this baby will definitely cut grass and doesn't leave stingers. But that dust think isn't good....people driving cars along side the medias we mow gesture at me all the time.

7. MANOFSTIHL

MANOFSTIHL LawnSite Member

The slant front originally began on the Advantage decks and originated to cut the wiry grass in Florida and as someone said helps to straighten the grass before it is cut. Sounds like a Gillette commercial...

8. tb8100

from TX

Is the blowout bad even with the baffle at the lowest setting?

9. MANOFSTIHL

MANOFSTIHL LawnSite Member

almost nonexistant

10. dcgreenspro

dcgreenspro LawnSite Senior Member
    from PA

I just picked up the scagw/ velocity and man, this thing is awesome. And no, there is no blowout on the lowest setting.