Why they say to stay solo...

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by 205mx, Mar 31, 2013.

1. SRT8

SRT8 LawnSite Bronze Member
    from CA

A storage unit lol
    Posted via Mobile Device

2. JContracting

JContracting LawnSite Bronze Member

Nvr thought of that. How about only spending $300/mo on truck fuel? Yeah right! After thinking, With 90k as revenue, the owner's salary/draw will probably not be more than about 55k after taxes. But that's with not saving much profit for additional equipment that needs to be replaced a couple yrs down the road.
    Posted via Mobile Device

3. TFLE

TFLE LawnSite Senior Member

I fill my truck up every two weeks- ish 120.00 a fill up. As for a garage yes it is a storage unit, it's a 12x50 bay that this guy built in a small industrial complex and lots of contractors and business run out of them. It's pretty nice if you ask me for the money. Every thing I need even have a yard to run out of to drop equipment and store trucks and trailers at no additional cost. Works fine until I can buy a house a build a shop there. As for taking out for an owners draw, idk if it's right but the rest is mine it's what I get paid so I guess technically my margin is zero. IDK, I know what my expense are and am not BSing so I'm not going to call you out for what yours are. I try to keep my expenses as low as possible and run a tight route for fuel, I bet on lots of days I don't drive my truck more than 10-15 miles, total. I have a 2000 ford dump truck. 7.3 and it has been used as my main truck since 2001 ish and has under 100k miles.

4. SRT8

SRT8 LawnSite Bronze Member
    from CA

Well thats a good deal if you get to have a yard at no extra cost. I was reffering to those storage complexes. A storage and yard like yours runs about $600 over here in my neck of the woods.
    I would stay there for a good while at that price.
    Posted via Mobile Device

5. jrs.landscaping

jrs.landscaping LawnSite Silver Member
    from Maine

Those units around me are over $800 a month, and the yard is big enough for 1 truck/trailer.

6. I rent a storage unit for $140/mo(storage here is pricey) and I'm able to fit 5 mowers in it plus other misc. stuff. I pay $230 total per month cause I have a space for my trailer. I use my 1 car garage at home for other machines and stuff. My GL/property insurance is $50/mo so I don't think your numbers are off at all.
    Posted via Mobile Device

7. Blades Lawn Maintenance

Blades Lawn Maintenance LawnSite Bronze Member
    Male, from Baton Rouge, La

I just want to get to that point of where I can turn down work that I don't want to do and have a solid dependable helper.

8. lawns Etc

lawns Etc LawnSite Silver Member

I still have my info from all my past yr's in my Quickbooks if you'd like to see them you are welcome to do so!

9. 205mx

205mx LawnSite Silver Member

What you aren't understanding is something called retained earnings of even a SOLO operator. He needs to plan to replace a truck. A mower.
    Posted via Mobile Device

10. 205mx

205mx LawnSite Silver Member

Really? Tires on your truck, tires on trailer, pretty sure that's $1000 right there. Never mind. Hopeless
    Posted via Mobile Device