1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Why to wear safety glasses...read this

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by JLC, Jun 16, 2001.

1. JLC

JLC LawnSite Senior Member
    from IA

Was out trimming trees this morning with a chainsaw and was wearing safety glasses the entire time. Got done and noticed one last piece that needed a trim. Grabbed the saw and didn't put on the glasses, after all it was just one small limb. Shot a sliver of wood right into my eye. Couldn't get it out on my own so had to go to the emergency clinic to have it removed. Eye is now scratched and have to wear a patch for the rest of the day. While this isn't the end of the world, it still cost me the rest of the day for being in a hurry. Being in a hurry bites you in the rear. Safety Safety Safety!
  2. Jason Pallas

Jason Pallas LawnSite Bronze Member

My horror story about eye injuries/no safety glasses: Last year I was sharpening a blade on the bench grinder (w/o safety glasses - NEVER AGAIN!). A small piece of metal (shaving) flew off the wheel/blade and bunred its way into my cornea. Long story short - had to go to the ER and have them numb my eye and then stick a #14 Needle into the eye to Pop/Pry/Flick loose the shaving that had been bunred/imbeded into my eye. The doc said if i had waited any longer (I waited a day - rubbing the damm thing and thinking it was just a piece of dirt/grass stuck in there), I would have had to have optical surgery!!! As it was, I was ready to go a day later. VERY LUCKY!!! WEAR THOSE SAFTEY GLASSES - YOU ONLY GET ONE SET OF EYES!!!!
  3. Guido

Guido LawnSite Silver Member

I have had my experiences with NOT wearing safety glasses also, and I've now learned. I'll be honest and say a lot of times I'm in a hurry (at least I tell myself that) and still don't wear them 100% but I wear them now much more than when I started out.

I think the big man upstairs lets the first accident happen as an eye opener (no pun intended) and the injury isn't that serious. Take it as a warning guys, and learn for next time!
  4. Eric ELM

Eric ELM Husband, Father, Friend, Angel

I always wear my safety glasses, since I need them to see. :)
    I have worn glasses for the past 52 years (yes they are bifocals) ;) which has saved my eyes a few times. When I was in high school, my neighbor my age didn't need glasses and he had a piece of wire bounce off the garage and back into his eye and it almost killed him. He lost his eye, but he still has his life at least.
  5. script

script LawnSite Member

I sweat so bad when I'm working that I have to stop often to clean the sweat off the lenses of the glasses just so I can see what I'm doing. I didn't always wear them until one day while I was trimming in shorts, I felt something sting me just below the knee. I just kept mowing as usual, and it wasn't till I stopped that I saw a piece of wire sticking in my leg. It was only in about 1/8 of an inch when I pulled it out, but I realized it could have been alot worse had it hit me in my eye. So now I always wear long pants and safety glasses. Hope your eye heals soon JLC.