Why use a 21"?

Discussion in 'Starting a Lawn Care Business' started by Champion Lawn & Landscape, Aug 31, 2007.

1. Champion Lawn & Landscape

Champion Lawn & Landscape LawnSite Member

I'm relatively new in the business and I haven't yet figured out why lawn care companies still use a 21" push mower. I see them on trailers of other companies all day long. Am I naive to think that I can get everything done with at least a 36" walk behind, or have I just not come across the account that required the 21"? How many people just pass on the account that requires the 21"? Also, what is an example of when the only mower that will do the job is a 21"? Thanks

2. ltw77

ltw77 LawnSite Member

There are only a few excuses I can think of for the 21" mower. Long ditch lines that you don't want to use a trimmer on, or a residential that has severe slopes or a problem with drainage where a heavier mower would do more harm than good. That's about it, unless of coarse the customer just wants it done that way.

3. freshlycut

freshlycut LawnSite Member

Think in terms of emergency back-up. And those really hard to reach places.

4. Stillwater

Stillwater LawnSite Platinum Member

becouse of a gate that has a opening of only 22 inches or narrow strips where a larger mower will not do a good job

5. Vikings

Vikings LawnSite Bronze Member
    from canada

I bought a toro 36 and I like it but I stopped trying to use it on every yard. Most of mine are around the 5-10k range and it won't fit in most of their gates anyway.

I only use it for large open yards where it fits but even if it fits on a small front yard, I went back to using the 21 because it's almost as fast (objects) and looks MUCH better.

On the large and very large yards, it's essential but I still had to watch it. I damage the lawn on one large yard. It was dry and hot, I left tire marks all over. Heavy machines.

Next year I'm going to buy a couple 21 prolines and a john deere rider. If I need or can use a large machine, I might as well ride.

6. Turf Professionals Inc.

Turf Professionals Inc. LawnSite Member

I have been doing this for about 6 years and my experience has been I could have line trimmed anything that I have come across before I could get the 21" out and started. I just line trim it and I have never had a problem.

7. joshco84

joshco84 LawnSite Senior Member

yeah i only have one spot that i push mow since i bought my 36 wb. it is big enough to take too long to weedeat it so this is the only spot i mow with it.

8. Lawnut101

Lawnut101 LawnSite Silver Member

I have a few accounts where I have to use 21's. Two of them are because the homeowners want me to use their equipment. The other 2 have real small yards. One of them, I couldn't get a 36 in there. The other one I could, but it wouldn't make sense to buy one for just one yard.

9. joshco84

joshco84 LawnSite Senior Member

mine is a free craftsmen i got from my dad for mowing his yard. But for a craftsman it is pretty nice except for the plastic wheels.

10. lawnmaniac883

lawnmaniac883 LawnSite Silver Member

Lets see first of all, the 21'' mower is very compact and takes up hardly any space on your trailer, this makes them good as a backup and easy to carry all the time. Second, I have several lawns that I use the 21'' on, most of them the gates are large enough for maybe a 32'' WB but the 21 is easy, cheap to run and no warmup time required. Also, some of my accounts have a backyard with a pool and patio in the middle then grass on either side, I am not going to run a 36'' mower across a persons concrete patio next to their pool, couldnt fit anyway but still would leave some nice rubber marks if I did it.