Why use a walk behind when you can use zturn rider?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by tyaroch, Mar 3, 2008.

1. tyaroch

tyaroch LawnSite Member
    from MI

I am new to this forum and I can not understand why some of you use walk behinds. It seems they would be a lot more work and a lot slower than a zturn. It also seems like they would be hard on your body. I am sure I am ignorant to the facts, but I just can't figure it out. I know small zturns are available.

2. DA Quality Lawn & YS

DA Quality Lawn & YS LawnSite Fanatic

Quality of cut, for me, is the main factor. A small walker and especially a 21" will outcut a Z quality wise. I base my business on quality, not speed, and charge for that. Thus the 21"/WB combo works for me. But my business model is not for everyone...

3. outrunjason

outrunjason LawnSite Senior Member
    from dallas

Well from what I know customers hate it. You put a 32" mower on there lawn and you might get away with it. A 36" is going to get some looks and maybe a complaint. I don't use anything larger than that.

The walk behinds are just easier to handle. The guys get them on and off the trailer quick. I think they give better cuts and in small lawns and tight areas the walk behinds are great.

4. kpyoung

kpyoung LawnSite Member

I like the cut of the walk behind over the z-turn but would replace the walk behind with another z-turn if twe could fit 2 z-turns on the trailer.

5. tyaroch

tyaroch LawnSite Member
    from MI

Ok, Thanks Guys

6. IN2MOWN

IN2MOWN LawnSite Platinum Member

Depends on the size of the yard. Why anyone would put a zero turn on a 5000 sq ft yard is beyond me. And to be honest most guys who just do residential dont need a $9,000 rider.

7. IA_James

IA_James LawnSite Silver Member
    from Iowa

They also cost about 1/2 what even a modest Z does.

8. outrunjason

outrunjason LawnSite Senior Member
    from dallas

Yeah speaking of this topic I have been thinking of running ZTR's on a lot of our houses. I know several that we could do it on and get away with it. But it does take up a lot of room on the trailer. Also I HATE CHANGING THE HEIGHT. Someone has to come up with a better way to change the height. At least on my Lesco it's annoying.

But like I said and the other guy said the cut is just not the same.

9. tb8100

tb8100 LawnSite Bronze Member
    from TX

If you're comparing a hydro walk and hydro Z, center of gravity is about the only advantage of a wb. Zs are much more productive in wide open spaces. Larger engines, faster cuts, etc. Now if you're talking gear drive fixed deck walks, they cost so much less than hydros that startup companies and companies cutting small accounts really need those over something like a large Z.

10. SILVERSTREAK INC

SILVERSTREAK INC LawnSite Senior Member

you cant beat a walkbehind on a hill, try cutting the same hill over and over with a z, youll rut the heck out of it after awhile

theres an easy 550 pound weight difference between a 60" walkbehind and a rider, i love the quality and look of the walkbehind, especially when going around tons of tree rings and beds, the walkbehind dosent squash down the edge or tear turf like a rider will

but on wide open spaces, a rider is the only way to go