Why use an edger???

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by wild willy, Apr 22, 2011.

1. wild willy

wild willy LawnSite Member

Could someone educate me please on the use of an edger..I have been reading these posts for years and have only seen a couple of lco using this piece of equipment. I have only used my trimmer to do edging and have never contemplated using one (edger).
    Is this more of an American thing or do Canadians just not care about this sort of thing?
    I have never been asked if I use one... or asked to use one on a property...or am I THAT good at using a trimmer alone????LOL

2. BTM Lawn Maintenance L.L.C

BTM Lawn Maintenance L.L.C LawnSite Senior Member

If you mow zoysia,you'll love using one ...but theres alot more behind using one...

3. vencops

vencops LawnSite Bronze Member
    from NC

Because my customers care.

You're not as good as my edger.

4. bjack312

bjack312 LawnSite Member

Down South, we have alot of creeping grass, such as bermuda. It overgrows curbing and sidewalks very rapidly. If you don't edge on a weekly basis, the property will look like crap.

You can accomplish this with a trimmer, but a dedicated edger does a MUCH better job.

5. BCL Services

BCL Services LawnSite Member

Canadian......oh that explains it.

6. Southern Pride

Southern Pride LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Memphis

Don't worry bro edgers are just as pointless here in America as they are in Canada. There is absolutely no difference in quality in what an edger could do and my edging with my trimmer. If there is any differene my trimmer is doing the better job. The only reason you would need an edger though is for commerical properties where the sidewalk is 100yards long. The way you are less fatigued and you can more or less just walk instead of really concentrating on that edge.

Another reason I find them dumb is while I'm doing my edging, I also do all of my trimming. I also trim over the edges (over the top on the edge of the grass where the mower leaves spots quite often) and so I never end up hitting the same lines twice. I couldn't imagine doing all of your edging up front and on the patio in the back then going BACK to the truck to get a trimmer and essentially walking over everything AGAIN. Total waste of time.

They also may be good use for people who have no idea how to edge with a trimmer. Don't be fooled though, absolutely no difference in quality if you know what you're doing.

-Griffin

7. ajslands

ajslands LawnSite Silver Member

An edger leaves a much cleaner, more uniform edge, whereas a trimmer does not.
    A trimmer is made for evening out the lawn near shrubs, houses, boarders, etc...

8. vencops

vencops LawnSite Bronze Member
    from NC

Are we talking about doing things quickly......or, doing them the right way?

9. ajslands

ajslands LawnSite Silver Member

The right way.

You should post this same comment in the "how many lawns is your record" thread.

10. Southern Pride

Southern Pride LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Memphis

Trimmer=
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Edger? No thanks. :waving: