why we do what we do?

Discussion in 'Heavy Equipment & Pavement' started by Junior M, Jun 30, 2008.

1. Junior M

Junior M LawnSite Fanatic

I have seen this posted on other forums i frequent and they had some pretty interesting and good answers so i thought i would try it here.......

Why do you do what you do? as in why do you love equipment or operating it so much? or what makes you get up every morning to do it?

(this is probably goin to be the most frequent answer,, to pay the bills) lol haha:laugh:

2. bobcat_ron

bobcat_ron LawnSite Fanatic

Being a brake man for the local rail road was too dangerous (that and my medical record looks real bad) Dad's dairy farming years took a toll on his body, so he started up the business and I was a high school drop out, and I fell into the family business.

It's not so much how it pays the bills, but all the farms I work for got some real hot farm girls running around, that gets me "up" in the mornings!!!

3. larryinalabama

larryinalabama LawnSite Fanatic

[QUOTE

It's not so much how it pays the bills, but all the farms I work for got some real hot farm girls running around, that gets me "up" in the mornings!!![/QUOTE]

I could get it up for some of those farm girls.

4. bobcat_ron

Amen!!!!!!

5. Dirt Digger2

Dirt Digger2 LawnSite Silver Member
    from PA

love to be outsdoors and work with my hands is the main part...have a skill that not many people do

plus i love to drive big trucks and the smell of diesel smoke...it all comes down to when we were little and played in the sandbox with tonka toys, they are just bigger now

6. YellowDogSVC

YellowDogSVC LawnSite Gold Member
    from TX

For me, it was a default job. I am anti-social by nature but I genuinely love helping people and doing a good job for a pat on the back.
    Second to that we bought a small 100 AC ranch in Texas and I needed equipment to fix it up. I had previously maintained 19 AC in another state with an 8n but the rugged hill country demanded bigger and stronger equipment. We decided after we got some of the equipment that we would try and pay for it with actual work so I practiced for a few months here and for my neighbors then went into business. I had a heck of a learning curve..
    Third reason is I like to wear shorts and t-shirts and hate traffic and cities!

7. punt66

punt66 LawnSite Fanatic

Just fell into it unintentionally. Recovering from surgery from cancer and couldnt use a push mower anymore. So i bought a ferris with suspension. Easier on my back. Well it only took 10 min and i wanted more. 3 years and 60 customers later im in business. It helped me to recover and get strong again. I must admit that even though its good money its getting kind of old and boring. But thats every job.

8. RockSet N' Grade

RockSet N' Grade LawnSite Silver Member

got bored of having money in the bank, so I bought some equipment to stimulate the economy :) I have always loved working outdoors and creating. I like people at a distance. I am handy- quality oriented, saw the crap they did around here......did a little bit, and viola! I am still stimulating the economy by buying diesel, metal, hoses and such and doing my thing.....I have had "six digit" desk jobs from wall street to wilshire blvd. in Los Angeles, worked in a coal mine and everything in between. I like this a whole bunch, and if I didn't like it as much as I did - I would do something else.

9. J. Peterson Grading

J. Peterson Grading LawnSite Senior Member
    from IA

I can't do anything else.....

Realy.

J.

10. bobcat_ron

Let's not all forget the true reason.

Women really dig guys who know........how to handle their.....................joysticks.