Why We Get No Respect.

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by big acres, Apr 3, 2008.

1. big acres

big acres LawnSite Member

Here it is, very simply put. I will speak of my best example... multi-famliy housing (apartments). There are two main reasons why we as an industry are not taken seriously.

1. Managers are paid on performance. If they stay in budget, they stand to make a bonus of 15-20% of their ANNUAL SALARY.

2. We are generally mavericks, people who got into the business to be our own boss, and hopefully make some money.

So, the equation basically pits managers who are human (at least some of them), and looking out for themselves vs. lawn guys who will stab each other and shortchange themselves to remain their own boss.

It is no wonder why contracts are coming on soooo cheap this year. The managers always wonder why they end up with lack of service, or nickel and dime extra charges, and we wonder how come we are not making any money and earning respect as an industry. This will never change... or will it??

2. LawnsRUsInc.

LawnsRUsInc. LawnSite Senior Member
    from midwest

Well big acres i agree with you on some parts you, we, us control it. How we portray our business, contracts and prices. Some guys just come in ahhh $20 x 3 of my hours ahhh $60 well we cant compete with that or can we. Yea we can if the owner wants to not worry about is it done, done right ins. etc.... i will higher a co. not some one man band with his rider... Also think about the properties your bidding on. The home owner associations i am throwing contracts at are places that a pro. company can only handle. 6 guys 2.5 days to cut alone and trimming shrubs 80-90 hrs.

Leave the places that will higher anyone for those people and take the ones that they cant handle.

3. LwnmwrMan22

LwnmwrMan22 LawnSite Platinum Member

And it's not just multi family housing, it's any account, really.

However, I believe that large properties like that are targets for companies, because they think "wow, look at all that grass" and think "I can just park right there for a whole day".

Just like the Wal-Mart I lost. For the last number of years I've been charging between $60 and $100 per hour for mowing.

This year they're going to go with either 1 company at $45 per hour, or the other at $50 per hour.

What they're looking at, is the hourly price, and how much that reflects in their bottom line as a manager to get their bonus.