why won't it start?

Discussion in 'Mechanic and Repair' started by bobbygedd, Apr 27, 2005.

1. bobbygedd

bobbygedd LawnSite Fanatic
    from NJ

my 36" bobcat w/14 hp kaw engine, which i love, is terrible in the rain. if i'm cutting, and it rains, even a light mist for 5 minutes, this thing won't start. the only way to get it started is to take off the air filter, and run the blower inside of it, and pull, and blow, and pull, and blow.....then after a while it starts. if it's a heavy rain, 4 get it. back in the garage for at least a day. i have other mowers that start dry or wet. anyone know the problem?

2. mkwl

mkwl LawnSite Bronze Member

I'm not sure, but it could be the coil shorting out with moisture. Check the coil and see if that is the problem. Hope this helps.

3. vipermanz

vipermanz LawnSite Bronze Member

what he said

4. dvmcmrhp52

dvmcmrhp52 LawnSite Platinum Member
    from Pa.

It does sound like a minor short..........When's the last time it had a complete maintenance check done?
    complete tuneup, etc...............

5. rodfather

rodfather LawnSite Fanatic

Bad coil for sure bobby...wires too maybe, dry rotted and split open to moisture

6. bobbygedd

from NJ

tuneup? look, i pour oil in it, sharpen the blades 3-4 times a year, and the gringo at the gas station puts gas in it. wtf is a tuneup?oh yea, i put a new air filter in once

7. dvmcmrhp52

dvmcmrhp52 LawnSite Platinum Member
    from Pa.

Maybe you just answered your own question?
    :waving:

8. specialtylc

specialtylc LawnSite Bronze Member

Sounds like a bad sparkplug boot. With the engine running take a spray bottle with water and mist the spark plug wire/boot. If the motor starts to miss or dies, then you found the problem.

9. bobbygedd

from NJ

ok wait, is the coil that wire that goes to the spark plug? cus it's all dryrotted, and looks bad

10. lawnman_scott

lawnman_scott LawnSite Fanatic

yes thats it.