why wont it start

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Scenic Lawnscape, Jun 9, 2004.

1. Scenic Lawnscape

Scenic Lawnscape LawnSite Senior Member

i have a kohler magnum 20 hp, and make a long story short i had to replace a piston and a head something got sucked in the intake and damaged it. So i replaced the rings on both pistons. a new piston and a new head, rebuilt carb. I put it all back together and turn the key and it wont fire. I am getting fuel in the carb, i am getting spark, but it wont fire, I have the muffler off and I noticed flames coming out of the right side exhaust every couple of cranks. the spark plug on the left side is dry but the right side is wet. I am confused as to what it might be, it was running ruff be for this mishap, so thats why i rebuilt the carb. so any help would be great

I also posted this in the repair forum and no response so thats why it is here
  2. mkwl

mkwl LawnSite Bronze Member

If I were you I would take it to a dealer, especially if flames are coming out of the exaust!
  3. matthew horner

matthew horner LawnSite Senior Member

Could be safety switches. Its tough when you do many things to an engine at once, better to fix one prob, test, then another prob. If you do it all at once, it is difficult to diagnose. I would start with the coil. Also, if one plug is wet, either it is firing (probrably at the wrong time) or it is not getting gas. If it is flooding, it usually won't start until you've spun (turned the engine over a few times with the spark plugs out) the gas out of the cylinders. Check for water in system??? Check for good wire connections (this has been the downfall of many). Try using some ether to dry things out and to help get a kick start. Make sure your battery is turning your starter fast enough also.
  4. MikeLT1Z28

MikeLT1Z28 LawnSite Bronze Member

sounds like it's out of time, you need to set the gap between the coil pickup and the flywheel. a sheet of paper folded in half should suffice. also those carbs are realllly picky, the slightest speck of dust and they won't run right or at all. i'd check the gap on the flywheel/coil first, then the valves.
  5. Scenic Lawnscape

Scenic Lawnscape LawnSite Senior Member

what should i look for when i check the valves?
  6. specialtylc

specialtylc LawnSite Bronze Member

Something is out of time. Either the ignition or maybe the cam timing.
  7. beransfixitinc

beransfixitinc LawnSite Senior Member

Flywheel Key? Not a Kohler dealer (yet), so, can't help very much at this point. Maybe one good spark plug (the dry one) and one bad spark plug (the wet one with no fire to burn off the gas) ? Swap the plugs around. Not sure (at the moment) if your Kohler uses a single coil with dual ignition wires, or if it has two modules. Too much on a Kohler to diag. online.